     On use of videos in classrooms:

We are not supposed to show R.  No policy on "curriclum-related"
that I know of, although one might be on somewhat safer ground if you were
trying to defend a "fair use" copyright case.

Recreational videos cannot be used because of copyright infringements.
Videos can only be used in connection with curriculum.  We had a
copyright presentation by Carole Simpson, author of copyright books,
and this is what we learend.

Check the copyright law.  Videos must b used in conjuntion with curriculum (recent
curriculum, not something that was studeied 5 months ago, you have
a sub and there are no lesson plans!!!)

Copyright law really determines video use.  Recreation use is NOT
allowed in ANY school setting without pruchasing some sort of
license or getting permission from the copyright holder.  The
principal can determine what licenses will be purchased for
recreational use.

Our faculty handbook states:
Movies shown to students during regularly scheduled classes should
be of academic value, not merely for etertainment purposes.  No
movies which are ratedR or X shall be shown under any circumstances.
Movies rated less than R are permissible only if they are pertinent
to the students' education in the particular subject area involved.
Class time is too valuable to waste on non-educational films.
Any video tapes used should first be viewed by the instructor.  A
discussion of why the video is being viewed as well as a follow-up discussion of
content is in order.  Showing movies, videos, etc. should be considered as
part of the planned curriculum for the school year.
Teachers chose videos to support their curriclum.  I choose the
videos for student checkout--mainly Disney.

Schools may use purchased or rented videos in the classroom (even if
marked "For Home Use Oonly) only if curriculum related.  None may be
used for entertainment.  Our HS will use movie ratings for appropriate
age group.  R can be used if the teacher sens home a parental permis-
sion form e.g. El Norte in Spanish class.  GS only may show F.  We choose
video using the same selection criteria as for books e.g. quality of
work, appropriate, etc.  All videos are selected, processed, and circu-
lated through the library, not individual dept. or teacher purchases.
We preview in the Spring so teachers can provide input.

"Recreational" videos are covered in the copyright law.  Basically,
tey are a "no-no" in school settings, at least in California--everything
must be curriculum-related.  Renting videos from video stores to show as a reward
is something many teachers do, but it's a violation of the copyright
laws (something many teahcers don't want to hear!).
The California Dept. of Education has a nice publication entitled,
"Suggested Copyright Policy and Guidelines for California's School
Districts." which can be ordered from them by calling the sales unit of
the Bureau of Publications at 916-445-1260.

.....vvideos made from books are considered to support the curriculum.
So, we have Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Homeward Boudn,
My Side of the Mountain, and Sounder.  There are a lot of entertaining
videos that either were based on books or tie into an historical
period (Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music).
Of course, at our (K-8) level, anything not rated G needs parental
permission.  .....

THANKS to the several who contributed comments and suggestions.
Librarian who requested this for Principal was pleased.
Richard Shook, Librarian
John Glenn High School Library
Bay City, Michigan
rshook@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu