Julie brings up some interesting points about this new electronic age we
live in and searching for information.  I believe we need to teach the
students to evaluate websites.  We need to teach them to recognize what
sites are propaganda sites and help them understand what constitutes
hate speech.  Some reasons you may not have a book with a particular
subject is that you couldn't afford to purchase it, it is a topic of
very limited interest,  it is something that just happened like the
tornadoes on Monday.  It could be an unselected item or subject, but one
you have on your want list.  No responsible librarian or teacher is
going to allow students access to massive amounts of inappropriate
material on the Net anymore than we would allow it with other types of
materials.  Students should use electronic sources in school to research
topics and subjects that they are studying in class.  And lastly 'why
would anyone want to know about making a pipe bomb,' because you have to
know how they are made to dismantle them and what to look for during
bomb threats.  Also, reports on terrorism may want to include
information about them and desmontrate  how easy it is to find on the
Internet.  And if sites about bombs, guns, weapons, and warfare are
blocked that sure leaves out any meanigful the study of history, social
science, sociology, and psychology.   Millions of young people have
viewed the same information those boys in Colorado did and have not even
contemplated doing what those two did.  Throughout history there has
been very little correlation between what books or media the person uses
and the crimes they commit.  That is part of the reason why many states
have confidentiality of library records laws.  And now that I have
opened a new can of worms I will leave the soap box and let someone else
have a turn..

Kathy Geronzin
Northeast Community Schools
3690 Hwy # 136