>It also seems relatively inequitable when one considers the incredible work
> required from classroom teachers to wrap up their school year..."

 However, teachers often use their students to clean up, pack up, take
down bulletin boards, etc.

Just some thoughts:

 Are the teachers required to maintain/reconcile an inventory of items
located throughout the school [referring of course to AV and other
equipment]?

 Do teachers have to call parents of those (often) hundreds of kids who
have overdue books?

Are teachers responsible for repairing all the textbooks, etc, in their
classroom?

Etc. etc. etc.

 Of course, I'm not knocking teachers, just the administrators thinking.
In my school, for the past 3 summers, my tech aide has had to box up
every computer in the lab and library (more than 20). Supposedly this was
to prevent theft by workers/people in the building. My tech aide and I
wondered, what better way to ENCOURAGE theft, by having everything one
needed to run the computer all boxed up and ready to go! All cables, etc,
were contained in a nice large box with the monitor and CPU. The boxes
even had handles and were numbered.

 We have new locks on the doors this year, (as well as new computers) so
it could go either way this year.

 Suzanne Weinheimer, Librarian
South Orange/Maplewood S.D.
NewJersey