These are some of the suggestions for historical fiction for the Middle
Ages:

I am Mordred.  Can't remember the author.  Excellent-- fictional account
of
King Arthur's illegitimate son.

Fire, Bed, and Bone, told about Middle Ages from perspective of a dog.
Can't
remember the author.  It is cute with a different perspective.

Squire's Tale.  Haven't read it yet, and can not remember the author.

I assume that there will be an alternative book for those with lower
reading
levels (at least that's what we've done here), and I would recommend The
Ramsay Scallop by Frances Temple for that one.  I'm at a loss for a more
difficult ones as those I can think of off the top of my head are also
fantasies (like Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon).  I'll keep
thinking....

What about Catherine , Called Birdy or The Midwifes Apprentice by Karen
Cushman?

It's huge and thus probably not a good choice, but Ken Follett's
"Pillars of the Earth" is very good.
The best resource for this sort of quest is Gale's publication "What
Historical Novel Do I Read Next?" which has indexes by time period,
geographical area, subject and historical character.
Diane

The Ramsay Scallop, I believe by Temple, is at a higher level then most of
the other middle ages fiction I have in my middle school library.
Barb Strack

MIDDLE AGES
400 A.D. - 1500 A.D.

jE      Bulla, Clyde Robert.    THE SWORD IN THE TREE.  Crowell c1956
114p.
                Lord Weldon's  brother appears from nowhere.  Then Lord
Weldon                            disappears and his son Shan and his
wife,
Lady Marian are in danger.  While seeking                shelter with a
herdsman, Shan learns that King Arthur holds audiences and appeals to
the King.  Sir Gareth challenges Lionel to a duel and restores Castle
Weldon
to Shan                and his Mother.  Who do you suppose they find in
the
dungeon?

MIDDLE AGES
400 A.D. - 1500 A.D.

jE      Bulla, Clyde Robert.    THE SWORD IN THE TREE.  Crowell c1956
114p.
                Lord Weldon's  brother appears from nowhere.  Then Lord
Weldon                            disappears and his son Shan and his
wife,
Lady Marian are in danger.  While seeking                shelter with a
herdsman, Shan learns that King Arthur holds audiences and appeals to
the King.  Sir Gareth challenges Lionel to a duel and restores Castle
Weldon
to Shan                and his Mother.  Who do you suppose they find in
the
dungeon?

jE      Kirwan, Anna.           JULIET.  Girlhood Journeys.    Simon &
Schuster
 c1997     64p.  On the day before Midsummer Eve in Greenchapel,
England in 1340, 11-year-old Juliet accompanies Gil on a trip to get
medicine for a wounded falcon while hoping to arrive home on time for the
fun.

jE      MacGill-Callahan, Sheila.       TO CAPTURE THE WIND.    Dial c1997
unpaged
                In a risky plan to free her kidnapped lover, Oonagh
cleverly
solves the
        evil pirate king's riddles, unites the princess Ethne with her
lover, and invents sails.

jE      O'Brien, Patrick.       THE MAKING OF A KNIGHT: how Sir James
earned
his armor.       Charlesbirdge c1998   unpaged.   Traces James's journey
during  the Middle Ages in England from inexperienced page at the age of
seven to                    knighthood at the age of 21.

J       Cadnum, Michael.        IN A DARK WOOD.         Orchard c1998
246p.    On orders from the King, the Sheriff of Nottingham seeks to
capture
        the outlaw Robin Hood, but he finds him to be a tricky and elusive
foe.   1189-1199.

J       Cushman, Karen. CATHERINE, CALLED BIRDY.        Clarion c1994
164p.    The 13-year-old daughter of an English country knight keeps
a journal in which she records the events of her life, particularly her
longing for adventures beyond the usual role of women and her efforts to
avoid being married off.

J       Cushman, Karen. THE MIDWIFE'S APPRENTICE.   Clarion c1995
117p. In medieval England, a nameless, homeless girl is taken in by a
sharp-tempered midwife and, in spite of obstacles and hardship, eventually
gains the three things she most wants: a full belly, a contented heart,
and
a place in the world.

J       Hunter, Mollie.      THE KING'S SWIFT RIDER.
HarperCollins c1998
                241p.     Unwilling to fight but feeling a sense of duty,
16-year-old Martin
        joins Scotland's rebel army as a swift rider and master of
espionage
for its leader,
        Robert the Bruce.

J       Lindgren, Astrid.    RONIA, THE ROBBER=S DAUGHTER.  Viking c1983
176p.  Ronia, who lives with her father and his band of robbers in a
castle
in
the woods, causes trouble when she befriends the son of a rival robber
chieftan.

J       McGraw, Eloise. THE STRIPED SHIPS.      Maxwell Macmillan c1991
223p.  Juliana, an 11-year-old Saxon girl, loses her home and family when
the
Normans conquer England in 1066 and seeks to order her life by becoming
involved in the creation of the Bayeux tapestry.

J       Sutcliff, Rosemary.      THE SHINING COMPANY.
Farrar/Straus/Giroux c1990                               293p.    600 A.D.
Prosper tries to save a white hart from a hunting party                led
by Prince Gorthyn who admires his daring.  Two years later Prosper joins
forces                 with the prince to fight the invading Saxons.  For
year they train.  While trying to                    capture the
stronghold
at Catraeth treachery stikes from a most unexpected source.

J       Gray, Elizabeth Janet.          ADAM OF THE ROAD.       Viking
c1942
317p.     1294-1295 in and around London, England.  Adam gets separated
from his minstrel father while searching for his stolen dog and must make
his way
 alone on the roads of England until he is reunited with both Roger and
Nick.

J       McCaffrey, Anne.        BLACK HORSES FOR THE KING.    Harcourt
Brace
c1996   217p.          Galwyn, son of a Roman Celt, escapes from his
tyrannical uncle and joins Lord Artos, later known as King Arthur, using
his talent with languages and way with horses to help secure and care for
the Libyan horses that Artos hopes to use in battle against the Saxons.

J       Phillips, Ann.          THE PEACE CHILD.     Oxford University
Press
c1988                               148p.       Could the exchange of
children really bring peace to feuding families?
Alys can=t understand her place in the family, why she must wear a white
dress
at certain occasions and her fair hair amongst the rest of the family=s
dark