Thanks to all of you who have replied directly and on the listserv.  The =
mail is about even for and against.  This is not to solicit any more =
votes, because I will be taking action. =20

For the last year I have sat quietly and let the people from Family =
Friendly Libraries and Filtering Facts speak for all of us, while =
retaining professional detachment.  But this woman has just gone too far.  =
Like Captain Kirk said in the episode called A Dirty Little War, "If the =
Klingons give their side guns, we give our side guns.  If they give out =
phasers, we give out phasers." or something to that effect.  Dr. Laura is =
obviously not interested in listening to reason, and she is playing dirty. =
 There is nothing else to do but match her, tit for tat.

First of all, does anybody think for one minute that DL is so stupid she =
thinks that ALA cares what the non-membership thinks?  ALA is there to do =
what the membership tell it to do, not to respond like an independent =
agency, government office, or business.  Prompting her people to call the =
ALA President and express their opinion is a dirty trick designed to be =
nothing more than a major nuisance.

Secondly, linking a gift to children with issues in adult services, =
causing needy children to lose out is nothing less hostage blackmail.  =
It's like she is holding a gun to the collective head of juvenile library =
users everywhere and saying "One more step and I will shoot the kid."  If =
we want to oppose her, she is not going to take us on, she will just hurt =
the children and say it is us that did it.

Third, where does she get off saying ALA defends pornography?  This is =
propoganda worthy of Goebbels.  Simplify a complex issue like defending =
free speech by denying that pornography can be defined into that, it can't =
be fought with reason.

Fourth, listservs like alt.sex.bondage are full of professional people, =
many of whom have only an intellectual interest in the issues discussed.  =
People who would be outraged at the ToysRUs thing, and would reply to DL =
as concerned citizens and potential voters, most likely without mentioning =
that they spend time online as dominatrixes or bondagers.  And if in =
addition to these messages she happens to get a few email attachments with =
pictures of her head on a naked whipmarked model's body, too bad.

Gordon Riley
Technical Services Librarian
The Mercersburg Academy
Mercersburg, PA
Gordon_riley@mercersburg.edu
The opinions expressed are my own!

"It's all about sincerity.  Once you can fake that, you've got it made."  =
Former NFL Head Coach Monte Clark.