Here are the ideas I received. Thanks to all who sent them!!
____________________________________
1 from Gayle Hodur
Since the book involves a story that spans the generations, you could toss
in some genealogical research or family tree activities.

An unfortunate incident in the story leads to a fortunate conclusion. What
incidents in the student's life have turned around in this way so that
good comes from bad.

You could also research desert lizards. Is there any such thing as a
yellow-spotted lizard? If not, what desert lizards are dangerous?

Dig a hole the size of the one in the book - see how long it takes.

What elements make the book an award winner? How is the book different
from Sachar's other works?
____________________________________
2 from Chuck Finnigan
I'm going to blend and serve a 'sploosh' like mixture, maybe onion
rings?
______________________________________
3 from Linda Scranton
I am in the middle of reading Holes aloud to 8th graders.  They are very
involved and love the story.  My only activity so far is to discuss issues
as we go.  We have talked about kids who are targets and teased, labels,
and reform.  I also am looking for more ideas and would appreciate it if
you could share any ideas that you receive.
4 from Carolyn Warhol
There are five activities listed at Nancy Polette's web site on Literature
Guides:   http://www.nancypolette.com/LitGuidesText/holes.htm
Here are a few other ideas:

1.  Page 212.   "The lizard hadn't bitten him however."  Why did the
lizards not bite Stanley or Zero?    This could be a classroom discussion,
a journal entry if the class has journals, or a short essay.

2.  Define the words coincidence and fate.  Pick one of many situations
and explain why you believe it coincidence or fate.  Possible situations:
Stanley and Zero are at the same detention center, in the same tent; the
one object left in the dry lake is the boat "Mary Lou" with the peaches,
etc.
3.  List all the things that happened when the curse ended.

4.  How do you feel about how the author ended the book?  Was it realistic
and satisfying?  If so, how?   Would you have ended it differently?  If
so, how.
5.  Cut a circle 5 feet in diameter in black/brown poster paper and place
on thefloor.  Have a pole 5 feet tall.  Let students stand in the circle next to
the pole to get a feel for the holes that Stanley had to dig.

6.  If you have a place to do it, actually have the students dig a hole 5
feet in diameter and 5 feet tall.  You could record the length of time it
took to dig the hole.

7.  Serve donut holes at the end of reading the book.
5 from Judith Schaffner
  One of my eighth grade classes has read YA books that have contemporary
social problems as themes and now is researching the issues related to
those themes. One student read Holes and is now doing a research paper
on the juvenile justice system.

Melinda Miller-Widrick, LMS K-12
Colton-Pierrepont Central School
Colton, NY 13625