Here is Part 1 of the responses to the bookbag issue

We have a no bookbag/backpack policy, and we also have a designated
entrance and exit, so we ask that the students retrieve what they need
and keep their bags near the exit.

Students keep them in their lockers!  Nothing unique!

We have a no book bag policy in our library. Students are required to keep
their bags in their lockers and bring only the books they need to class and
the library.

We had our buildings and grounds people build shelves like cubbies in the
hallway. It has taken us several years to break the habit of carrying
everything around all day, but we now have very few backpacks migrating to
classes and the library. For us it was less a matter of falling over them
in here as of the weight on the backs of children.

We have wooden cubbies built beside the library entrance, facing inwards so
that kids can check on the status of their things.

Students unload their bags and "stuff" before entering the library-proper. No
one brings their bags into the library.

We have a no book bag policy.  I have shelf called the Backpack Butler.
It is the size of a double sided bookcase, but it is much deeper, so
that a backpack can fit without falling off.  Mine is on wheels and it
can fit the packs for an entire class if they are directed right.  A
friend of mine actually has a huge wall of cubicles for her library, but
they built that in when they built the library.

During Book Fair no one can bring bookbags into the library. They leave
them on the floor near the front door....not graceful or helpful but
functional!

How about those cubbies for primary grades? They are boxes about 15
inches square. Enough cubbies for the number of students allowed in the
center at once. When the cubbies are full...no more students!

Good luck!

Eileen J. Christopher, SSJ
Notre Dame Academy
425 Salisbury St.