I get it.  Free speech has never included the right to yell fire in a =
crowded thater, nor, in my mind, does it include telling lies to take =
money from children.  Nor does it include the right to slander groups with =
half truths, such as ALA supports pornography.  Nor does it include the =
right to incite a riot, which is essentially what her call to call ALA is =
like, a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing but a nuisance for ALA =
employees who have nothing to say about ALA's position.

BTW, are you an ALA member?  You might feel differently if you were being =
slandered.  Are you a children's librarian in a poor neighborhood with =
deteriorating furniture and a leaky roof?

As for the example, I am trying to set an example of someone who is not =
ashamed to be outraged and not afraid to take action.  Nor is it unprofessi=
onal to let some passion into your work, to care, even to get mad at =
somebody who is just flat out wrong.  Unprofessional would be to get =
worked up like this over something that didn't matter, or to be on the =
wrong side of the question.  Anyone who won't stand up and fight for their =
professional ideals, has no claim to call himself professional.  In my =
mind, nothing could be more professional than to fight back against this =
Dr. Laura person.

Gordon Riley
Technical Services Librarian
The Mercersburg Academy
Mercersburg, PA
Gordon_riley@mercersburg.edu
The opinions expressed are my own!

"It's all about sincerity.  Once you can fake that, you've got it made."  =
Former NFL Head Coach Monte Clark.

>>> Alan Olson <whs@FRANKLIN.SE-IOWA.NET> 05/13 3:05 PM >>>
Don't you get it.  That what Free speech is all about.  She is free to say
whatever she wants
just as your are.  You can disagree with people without being disagreeable.=

Goodness, what kind of an example are professionals setting with this kind
of outburst.

Al Olson

>The woman has gone too far now.  Trying to get ToysRUs not to give money =
=3D
>to benefit children because they disagree with our position on Free =
Speech =3D
>is dispicable. =3D20
>
>Do we have her address and email and phone?  I'd like to post them on =3D
>groups like alt.sex.bondage with a plea for the other side to make some =
=3D
>noise in her ear.

=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D--=3D-=3D-=3D