I got this article from Multicultural Pavilion and pass it to LM_NET,
needing to discuss this with this part of my community.  As Quakers say,
Courtland Milloy speaks my mind.  As the news about Columbine HS continues,
I keep feeling the way I did about the great response to Matthew Shephard's
death.  This isn't because two kids went on a killing rampage or a gay man
was brutally murdered.  These things have been happening for a long time
with no media attention or very unsympathetic attention.  It is because the
people involved were "just like us" (read "white  middle class".  I was
feeling weird about not wanting to join in the massive demonstrations and
gathering of support, but I couldn't shake the sense of the racism
screaming at me in the whole thing.  This whole thing is about our horror
that middle class white kids could do this.  But no one is saying that.
Double standard, for sure!!

Johanna Halbeisen
Woodland Elementary School (preK-4)
80 Powder Mill Rd.