From owner-lm_net@LISTSERV.SYR.E
U Thu May 20 09:57:59 1999
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:32:55 -0500
ormat.
--------------27BE5AC5447D641FA7E3ACA4

Here are some of the responses that I received.  Thanks to everyone who
replied.  You all are great!

I did a Start/Stop/Continue survey that consisted of the following:
1. a cover letter that explained the purpose of the survey to be
informational only
    I said (more or less), "If your grade level was in charge of the
library/school what changes would be made and what would be kept?"
2. a page with the word KEEP at the top
    they then brainstormed things they would continue
3. a page with the word STOP at the top
    they then brainstormed things they would discontinue
4. a page with the word START at the top
    they then brainstormed things they would like to see

Some of it was very revealing, some of them wanted and wanted and wanted

(just like the bunny).
It gave me a good excuse to stop reading stories to 2nd grade (YES, more

time to do REAL stuff)

This survey is designed for a high school library, but you could revise
it
according to what you want to know.   For your first survey, the answers
the bottom questions will probably give you an idea of what to track
with
the survey you write next year.

Evaluation of Nerinx Library
Please put a check mark before the statements that apply to you.
Please answer the questions on the back.
Thanks for the help...........Mrs. Winkler
1.       I am a:

_______Freshmen_______Sophomore____Junior_______Senior______Faculty

2.       I need to know more about how to do research.

_____Strongly Agree________ Agree________Disagree_______ Disagree
Strongly

3.      No one will help me.

_____Strongly Agree________ Agree________Disagree_______ Disagree
Strongly

4.      The atmosphere in the library helps me to study.

_____Strongly Agree________ Agree________Disagree_______ Disagree
Strongly

5.      The resources I need to start research are available in the
Nerinx
                        Library.

_____Strongly Agree________ Agree________Disagree_______ Disagree
Strongly

6.      Posters and  displays in the library inspire me to want to read.

_____Strongly Agree________ Agree________Disagree_______ Disagree
Strongly

7.      When I go to college, I will be ready to use a university
library.

_____Strongly Agree________ Agree________Disagree_______ Disagree
Strongly

8.      I visited the Nerinx Library web page
(www.nerinxhs.org/Lib.html).

_____Yes    _____No.
        If yes, how do you like the links to magazines and other
libraries
and to recommended search tools?  What would make this webpage more
helpful
for you?
        Over please
9.     What is best about the Nerinx Library? What should we
        be sure that it continues to do?
10.       What is worst about the Nerinx Library?  What should we
        stop doing?
11.       What could the Nerinx Library be doing that it is not doing
        now?
12.     Further comments:

 I used ALA forms that I found in "Power Tools: Forms and
Presentations". It was general enough to gather the information that I
needed. I am in a high school so I also did a student survey.

--------------27BE5AC5447D641FA7E3ACA4

begin:vcard
n:;
tel;fax:(919) 233-4344
tel;work:(919) 233-4327
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Swift Creek Elementary School
version:2.1
email;internet:sfiedler@swiftcreek.wake.k12.nc.us
title:Media Coordinator
adr;quoted-printable:;;5601 Tryon Road=0D=0A;Raleigh;NC;27606;
fn:Stephanie L. Fiedler
end:vcard

--------------27BE5AC5447D641FA7E3ACA4--

From: Harry Willems <harryw@MIDUSA.NET>
Subject: Gen:  Framing the Message

I've lurked behind the landscape watching and listening to the discussion
thread concerning Dr. Laura and ALA.  I've heard reasoned statements about
the issue of censorship and the connection as it filters into the school
library domain.  I've also heard a lot of "jr. high justice".

Censorship effects all school librarians and libraries.  I've worked with
several school libraries when they've had books challenged.  This is the
issues on which we should frame the discussion.  The fall out from Dr.
Laura will ignite passions that spread to high school collections, and
filtered/unfiltered Internet access.  Filters are assumed to provide all
necessary protection to kids, but teach them nothing about responsibility
after school, and unfiltered access in the business world and college
campuses.  School mission statements usually refer to preparing students
for civic responsibility, but tethering them artificially to "good
information" in electronic or print format, does little to make the kind of
citizens the world will need in the 21th century.  Lest anyone should think
that I mean unreasoned collection development, I don't.  But allowing small
segments of the population to dictate what is, and what isn't family
friendly, smacks of disintegration of freedom.  We all know that if freedom
disintegrates slowly enough, most won't notice or even care.

My conservative Mennonite reaction is to encourage changing the world one
person at a time, like the "Good Book" commands.  Let libraries serve all
who pay taxes to support the library, and school district.  The easy way
out is to censor.

Harry Willems, Assistant Director
Southeast Kansas Library System
218 E. Madison
Iola, KS  66749
harryw@midusa.net

Harry Willems                   http://www.sekls.lib.ks.us/staff/willems
Consultant, Assistant Dir.
Southeast Kansas Library System
Iola, KS  66749         Fax: 316.365.5137       Vox: 316.365.5136

“We die only when we run out of footprints.
Then the biographers move in to retrace our paths,
enclosing them all in tall mazes of lumber
to make our lives seem more complex, more arduous,
to make our leaving the room seem heroic.”  --Billy Collins