Dear LM-Netters,
I posted this question a few weeks ago. Thanks for the ideas.

>>Dear LM-NETTERs,
>>Does anyone have any fun "culminating" activities you do during your last
>>library class of the year that you would like to share with the rest the
>>elementary librarians? Please send them to me and I will post a hit.

For the last elementary visit(s) during the year, I get out my colorful
beach towel, a colorful mumuu (or however you spell those Hawaiian loose
dresses!) a big floppy hat, sunglasses, and an appropriate "vacation" story
- the funnier, the better. I spread the beach towel out over my chair or on
the floor, tell the kids "Get ready, we're going on vacation!," put on the
mumuu, hat and glasses, (or you can already have them on, if that's easier.
I wear the mumuu over my regular clothes) and read. Some cute stories I've
used in the past are:

The Rattlebag Picnic by Steven Kellogg (lends itself to lots of great
sound-effects and motions), and The Relatives Came (by Cynthia Rylant, I
think). There's also Arthur's Vacation (Mark Brown) and The Great, White
Man-eating Shark by Margaret Mahey. The Three-legged Cat (Mahey again,I
think) is about a trip.  Ann Jonas' Round Trip is truly unique, but not
funny - you might try it with older (3rd & 4th graders)kids. Harry at the
Seashore (or is it Harry at the Beach?) by Zion is really cute for kinders
and first. A good time to hand out summer reading ideas, promotions, or
public library applications to those who don't have cards yet.

I host popcorn parties for the classes that have had a set number of
100% book returns.  I spread quilts on the floor, give the kids popcorn
and read them enough books to fill up a half hour.  I tell them it's
like going to the movies...but I'm the movie.  The kids love it and try
very hard to earn the popcorn party.  I have one three times a year.
Before Winter break, before Spring break and then a the end of the
school year.  I usual select seasonal stories to read.

The other classes may not get a popcorn party, but since there's no
check out, we have longer together and I try to do some Origami, or
paper airplane folding or kite making, etc.  Highlighting the Drawing,
and craft books.
For 5th grade, I like to do something retrospective, kind of to show them how
much they have grown.

I have a record (phonograph, no less but maybe you could get it on tape) by
Bill Cosby called "Why is there Air?" and one of the selections is called
Kindergarten.  This is a howl, the kids love it.

Sometimes I also read the chapter from RAMONA THE PEST which tells about her
first day of kindergarten.  The teacher welcomes her and tells her to "sit
here for the present."  Ramona thinks she is going to get a present as in
gift and she will NOT get up until she gets it.  Then we talk about
misunderstandings they may have had during their school years.

Last year, I happened to get a big book order in just at the end of the
school year.  They weren't catalogued yet but I put them out on tables and
let the 4th graders make a list of the ones they wanted to read.  Then this
year we put them on reserve for the kids who had them on their list.  They
loved getting notes about something waiting for them at the library desk.
This year I'm trying Parts of Books Bingo with 5th grade classes (prizes
will be the trading cards I take out of our issues of Sports Illustrated for
Kids) and Media Manners with 1st grade.  Media Manners is a 2 team contest
where students draw cards with positive or negative behaviors on them, then
move clothespins around a board to the finish line.
One thing I do with my 3,4.5 graders is to hand out bookmarks with the
following year's state awards books on it. I then booktalk the books and
promise the children that anyone who has read at least one of the books
over the summer will come back to a small reward. It gives some of the
students a head start on reading the books for our school year book club.
Not a lot of kids take advantage, but I think that more will each year as
I continue to do this.

I am also going to give my outgoing students (5th grade) a straw and then
read them the book "The Ink Drinkers." It is about a boy who doesn't like
to read. He meets up with a book "vampire" who drinks the ink out of
books. He too becomes an "inkdrinker" after being bitten. After the story
I think I will treat them to some punch (maybe the color of ink?) to use
with their straw.
Some of my teachers have their students write their own stories and bind
them in the spring.  Last week my 2nd graders brought "their" books and I
read them.  We all enjoyed it!
I do bandana folding with all classes at their last visit.
 I buy posterboard and cut it in four pieces.  our fifth graders at the end of
the year create "movie posters"---the posters are one-fourth of a poster size.
of their favorite books that they've read all year.  Fifth grade is the
year when our kids change buildings, and I tell them this is a way that
their voice is heard as to what their library has for the incoming fifth
graders in the fall.  We hang the posters up two-sided with fishing line
from the ceiling above the check-out desk and reference areas and the kids
love looking at them in the fall. It really helps our new fifth graders
target what we have -- only rules:  it has to be in our library and it has
to be a title of a single work -- fiction or nonfiction -- or series.

It's a good lesson, too -- we look at book covers, how they sell a book to
a reader, talk about advertising and the all-important keywords -- what are
you selling?  what information has to be included?  Why don't you want to
be wordy?  what kind of words do you want to pick?  And, so on.
  by this time of year I am looking for activities that won't be too hard since
they all seem to be very talkative..
kindergartners:  I read the story [actually put it on story cards] The Chalk
Box story by Don Freeman.. then we go outside and make pictures with sidewalk
chalk.. this year they all get to keep a piece of chalk...
first grade:  we are playing book character bingo... I made the cards using
software called Friday Afternoon... the kids have the choice of using M&M's or
goldfish crackers for their markers and of course keeping the food at the end
of the game..
video and popcorn parties for classes who get all their books in by Friday!!!
Elementary, but fun:  We have a week of classes when no one can check
out books, and I am already inventory-ing some of the library.  I pull
all the "Search and Find" types of books we have--I Spy, Waldo, et
cetera, and put them out on display tables along with giant puzzles.
The kids love them, and they seem to have more fun than they usually do
in the library!  For older students, we compile their recommended reads
for the grade below them.  I edit the lists and send them out to the
teachers.
   For my last class with my third through fifth grade students, I like to
talk about ideas for summer reading.  I might provide a list of titles or
authors and information about the local public library's or bookstore's
summer reading promotions.  Then I ask the kids to recommend books to their
classmates.  They love the opportunity to share favorites, old and new, and
the conversation never lags!
Some say I'm a glutton for punishment, but I like to ask my students to
"grade" me.  I give them a questionnaire and they don't have to sign their
name to it. I ask questions like - What are my strengths as a LMS - How
could I improve - What do you like best/least about our library - describe
our library's environment (tidy, organized, messy, peaceful, etc...) - What
was the most important thing you gained from visiting the library this year
- How well do you think I handle discipline problems - Describe one thing
you will always remember about being a patron in our library .  I get very
interesting comments and for the most part, they are constructive.  Students
like being asked their opinion - it makes them feel valued - AND THEY ARE !
It is also a great writing exercise.  If you want some really amusing
comments, ask them "If your librarian were an animal, which animal would she
be ? Explain !
  With some classes I am planning to read
a story about showing appreciation(no title yet) then have students make a
thank you slip for their classroom teacher.  With other classes I will ask
them to share favorite reading so classmates can have a summer readig list.
These lists we'll print on bookmark sized slips.  Looking forward to other
ideas.
Thanks to all. Happy summer!

Patricia Sonnet, Librarian
Rabat American School
c/o American Embassy
B.P. 120
Rabat, Morocco

psonnet@ras.edu.ac.ma
fax: 212-7-67-09-63

This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS.