LM_Netters
I posted a letter about some of my teachers being upset about my schedule. I
neglected to say:
*Library will remain open for research, and of course teachers are still
allowed to check out materials, even enough for books for classroom use
*Principal will arrange coverage for teachers missing out on planning
periods.
*Amount of time needed this year is due to condition of libraries that I
inherited, and the fact that I have 2 schools.
My downfall this year was putting the memo in teachers mailboxes the night
before a doughnut faculty meeting the next day, and also before the
principal had informed them of the schedule. I also made the mistake of
trying to be cute and put pictures of my assistants and myself behind a big
book on the top of the memo. Perfect dart board material!
   One of my schools is flexible schedule and the other is fixed. The fixed
schedule allows for 2 1/2 days of back to back classes and no time for all
the other responsibilities. The flexible one is just as busy with not even a
minute to do my ordering. I usually stay till 5-6 pm and am planning to come
in 2 weeks after school closes. I never sang my woes to teachers because
they just wouldn't get it. I also was a second grade teacher and realize how
busy they are too. However, I am not just a teacher, when my classes leave,
I've got all my other jobs to do. I don't even know what a planning period
is.
  So for those who wrote to say, "I hear you, been there, know that! Here's
a few things that might work..." I thank you for your ideas and support. For
those who were just as outraged as the teachers were at my schedule, I say
you must be  "Wonder Librarians" to get all your stuff done, stay open till
the very end and make everyone happy. I would love to know how you do it and
still like your jobs.

Thanks again for your responses.
Lori Lombard, Librarian
Seneca Falls, NY