Colleagues,
        Several weeks ago I asked for ideas for custom labeling individual
library shelves with their numbers or letters. Some folks wanted to know
what I did.  Here's what I finally came up with for my library.
LABELING SHELVES:
I found the simplest thing and the cheapest was to write a listing shelf by
shelf of what Dewey numbers I wanted and what fiction letters.  Then I went
home to my computer (could have used the ones at school) and typed them in
a clear font the size of my shelves (3/4 inch) in columns on copy paper.  I
used bright yellow paper for my numbered shelves, red for my fiction
shelves, and Kelly green paper for my reference shelves because that is the
color of each section's book supports and nearby pipes and columns in the
room (I painted them to brighten up the place). I brought them to school
and glued them to manilla tag cardboard and gave them to the non-teaching
assistant who is in charge of the school laminator. When they came back
laminated, I cut out the strips of numbers/letters  and taped them in the
center of each shelf with the same tape used to reenforce my paperback
books.  They look dynamite!  If I move shelves around and the notations
change, I merely have to type up a couple of new sets and laminate and tape
them.   A few sheets of paper, a few sheets of manilla tag, a little glue,
laminate and tape and -- voila!
                                        Sandy P. in Philly

"It's got to be the going not the gettin' there that's good." Harry Chapin
in song "Take the Greyhound"
"But then, you could go both ways!"  Scarecrow in movie "The Wizard of Oz"

Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
236 E. Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA 19120