On May 18 Kathleen Fencil wrote:

>I have had a request for suggestions of Rapunzel story versions to use at
>the elementary level other than the Caldecott winning one illus. by Paul O.
>Zelinsky.  This came up after the librarian had featured the Zelinsky book
>and its illus. in a lesson at the Grade 3-5 level.  Her feeling was that
>this version was somewhat removed from the students making a connection to
>it, and that the lesson may have been more valuable if other versions could
>have been presented as contrasts in telling and illus.
>
>Other than Zelinsky's, what versions come to mind for appeal at the
>elementary level, that you feel work well?
>
>Thank you if you can help with this.
>
>Sincerely,
>Kathleen Fencil
>
>Kathleen H. Fencil              Washington Elementary School
>1220 Poly Drive                 1044 Cook Ave.
>Billings, MT 59102-1715         Billings, MT 59102
>tkfencil@mcn.net                fencilk@billings.k12.mt.us

Zelinsky depicts an exquisitely beautiful Rapunzel. Like other Grimm
versions, she is imprisoned in the witch's tower, falls in love with the
prince when he climbs her hair, is banished when she inadvertently tells
the witch about him, bears twins, is found several years later by the
prince whose blindness she cures with her tears, and all ends happily in an
Italianate garden scene strikingly --- one might say shockingly ---
reminiscent of Raphael's painting of the Holy Family and St. John. The
pictures are gorgeous.

What more could anyone want?  Well, maybe a little less or a little different.

I can think of three versions of Rapunzel where the twins are left out: in
two collections of tales, The Random House Book of Fairy Tales by Amy
Ehrlich, illus. by Diane Goode (Random 1985), and The Rainbow Fairy Book by
Andrew Lang, illus. by Michael Hague (Morrow 1993); and in a book with a
single tale, Rapunzel:A Fairy Tale by Anthea Bell, illustrated in misty
pictures by Maja Dusikova (North South Books 1997). I wouldn't say the
pictures in any of these are outstanding.

Many libraries have the Rapunzel romantically retold by Barbara Rogasky
with Trina Schart Hyman's detailed pictures (Holiday House 1982).

All of the above tales are based on the version gathered by the Grimm
brothers.

Alix Berenzy retold and illustrated a Rapunzel (Holt 1995) based on German
sources that predate Grimm. The Berenzy Rapunzel figure is strong, bears
twins, overcomes many hardships. I think this version would be a good
comparison with the Zelinsky.

Another strong-minded "Rapunzel" is the Italian variant titled
Petrosinella: A Neapolitan Rapunzel, a tale gathered some 200 years before
the Grimms by Giambattista Basile, retold and illustrated by Diane Stanley
(Dial 1995, Puffin 1997).  Petrosinella uses her wits and three magic
acorns to overcome her captor, a wicked ogress.

Saved for last is David Vozar's parody, Rapunzel: A Happenin' Rap,
illustrated in neon colors by Betsy Lewin (Bantam Doubleday Dell 1998) with
characters who are citified dogs. "Rap" is a spoiled teen poodle; "Fine
Prince" prances about while she has twin puppies and opens her own beauty
salon.  Booklist suggests pairing it with Zelinsky.  (You probably already
know Vozar and Lewin who  collaborated on the rap that spoofs Red Riding
Hood and the Three Little Pigs called Yo, Hungry Wolf.)

Well, that wraps it up.  There are other versions, but those are the ones I
know.

Joan Kimball

Joan Kimball   Librarian, Writer, Storyteller.
Clinton NY.     jkim@borg.com