Try doing a monthly newsletter with a column "What's happening in the =
Media Center" and give the actual statistics of monthly circulation; # of =
students in a month visiting; # of classes coming, etc...  Your faculty =
will be surprised!

**********

It's a good idea not to take things personally.  I am in a situation with
weeding for automation and have had one Dept. Chairperson actually =
harrassing me
until I am under so much stress that I can't stand it.  He is also talking =
about
me to students and teachers which is making me feel as though I have to =
defend
myself.
Anyway, what I did was to send out a Library Evaluation Form for teachers =
fill out.  It asks about their experiences in the Library, with the =
Librarian,
etc.  There is a place for suggestions, etc.  This might be a good thing =
for you
to try.

**********

How about a PR newsletter sent quarterly to the teachers.  In it you can
list statistics like number of class visits, books checked out, exciting
collaborative projects with classroom teachers, new materials in the media
center, etc.  This is a proactive way to combat views that the lms doesn't
do anything.

**********

One thing I'm planning to do next year to "enlighten" some staff members
is to do a monthly report that will show the number of classes who were
scheduled that month, the number of books circulated, etc, etc.  I used to
do this for my admin, but since I was on sick leave for most of first
semester, I didn't resume it this year.  But I have decided that it is the
staff who needs to know what I do! =20
And I just love it when one of those who seldom use the library
will stroll in to schedule something on the library calendar during my
busy months of March and April and get a shocked look when they realize
there is NO time available!

And remember, we cannot please everyone.  And some can NEVER be pleased
anyway.  Don't stress out too much.

**********

The survey which was posted this week might be a place to start.  It was
very short but looked GREAT.  Also-you might sneak in a few facts among =
your
questions. Were you among the ??? classes who came to the library this
year...or something along that line.

**********

Some people are just going to complain. You can't let them pull you down.
However, you are wise to be aware of it and develop a strategy. When I
think such grumblings are going on, I kill 'em with kindness, and go out =
of
my way to get them involved. Then to make sure I'm not being smug, I ask
myself whether I'm doing as much as I can in working with students. If the
answer is yes, I don't worry about it. If I think I can do more, I hustle.

Make sure the principal is on your team. Finally, do you really care what
the grumblers think of your work? Like I said, some people just want to
complain.

**********

Why not total up the dollar amount of books lost and not returned last =
year=20
-- esp. compared to the amount you get for purchasing new ones each year. =
=20
That tactic got the attention in my school.  Now, with publishers not =
having=20
books on hand -- or having them go out of print so quickly -- lost ones=20
rarely can be replaced. Many people are not aware of this fact either.

**********

At the end of each month I compile statistics including visits by =
classes=20
and individual students.  I give a copy of this report to the=20
superintendent, who shares it with the school board.  I also post a copy =
in=20
the teacher workroom 2-3 times a year.

**********

Use the data to show that you are seeing more students.  Make a graph=20
using Excel or another program and put it in a year end newsletter to =
the=20
staff.  It's hard to argue with facts.=20

 Maybe they just miss their regular time in the library and are feeling=20
left out.  Perhaps more communication with the teachers, a time for =
them=20
to preview new materials that are going into the library or some way of=20
connecting with them regularly would help.

**********

One thought that I had was to inventory my paperback collection and then =
tell
the teachers that they could  check out 30 to 40 books to have as a =
"classroom
library" for which they will be responsible for since they will be checked =
out
to them and that they can use those for the kids to read in their class =
and then
they can turn them in 3 to 5 days before school is out.  I would announce =
this
in faculty meeting so "everyone" could hear it....then, if they do it, =
okay, if
not, okay....at least I had made the offer.

Lori Loranger, LMS
Robinson Elementary
Kirkwood, MO
lorangl@gw.kirkwood.k12.mo.us