I am teaching a Saturday morning reading enrichment program and I would like
to have the students read a book during the ten sessions and spend a few
minutes during each session discussing the story (Literature Round-up).
There will be two groups 1) third and fourth graders and 2) fifth and sixth
graders.  I would like some suggestions of newer books you may find suitable
and enjoyable for this program.  I don't want to do Harry Potter.  Last year
we used Frindle for the younger group which worked out great!

I was also wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas for these 1 hour
sessions.  It is not tutorial, these sessions are supposed to be fun.  In the
past I have integrated technology by doing an author study on Chris Van
Allsburg and then visiting his website.  I have also had the children think
of new titles for the passages in his book The Mysteries of Harris Burdick.
We also visited Jan Brett's website, read some stories, made some bookmarks,
etc.  I would like to incorporate poetry if anyone has any ideas.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated! TIA

Patricia Donovan, Librarian
Floral Park Bellerose Elementary School, NY
trans65@aol.com