This is a tough one.  It is a choice of words that probably wouldn't be
used by a children's author writing these days.  You raise a good point
about weeding books that contain expressions that are now considered
offensive.  The hard question now is "Is our society really different, or
is this an example of heightened sensitivity due to media hype?"  Violence
in our schools is actually down from the level it was at a few years ago.
One has to wonder if the current sensitivity toward school violence will
last only as long as it remains the lead story on the news.   Remember the
frenzy over child molestation at day care centers several years ago?  It
would be a shame to remove a book based on reactions to the lastest news
hype.
Issues like this are more easily handled when there is a policy in place to
deal with challenges.  When there is a policy, it becomes easier to deal
with challenges an objective rather than emotional fashion.   Good luck.
I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out.

--
Joe Stedman
LMC Director/Gombert School