Well, folks,
   My most humble apologies for not "HITting" sooner. Thank you to all who
responded with advice for my speech to the student teachers. The talk went
really well, and I even saw a couple of students write things down!! Of
course, it may have been their grocery lists=85 I organized the speech as
follows: 1) Brief introduction, and quick discussion about Information
Power (which our library has), 2) What your librarian can do for you, 3)
WHY you should collaborate with your librarian, 4) Brief discussion of
information literacy, 5) Best case scenario, 6) Worst case scenario (I want
them to be prepared!), 7) Problem comments, pet peeves (from the HIT about
30 min. prep. coverage), 8) Sources for more information. The professor was
also really pleased, and since it was the first time I've even met her, I
have hopes for more collaboration.
Anyhow, my original post is first, and then the responses. Thanks again!!

> Hi,
> I've been invited to speak to a group of student teachers (at the
> University) about partnerships with their school librarians (probably more
> future than right now during their student teaching, although if I can
> inspire them right now, that would be great too). I'm very excited about
> this opportunity, and thought I'd call on you for help. I've checked the
> archives and found two hits -- both from 1997. One is a posting by Marilyn
> E. Barnes from Sept 28, 1997, and the other is a three-parter from Anne T.
> Knickerbocker on March 12, 1997. If you did NOT respond to either of those
> (or even if you did, but have something new to add), I would welcome any
> thoughts on what you would tell these students. I'm prepared to talk about
> the value of flexible scheduling, the Big6, and working with the librarian
> AHEAD of time to ensure success, but if you have any other specifics, I'd
> sure appreciate them. Does anyone have any suggestions for working with
> recalcitrant librarians? Although there aren't any of those on LM_Net, I'm
> sure we've all heard of them. ; )  Any good advice?
>=20
> Thanks in advance. My talk is November 8. Please reply to me directly, and
> I'll post a hit.    jhylen@lib.nmsu.edu
>=20
The responses I received:

        I work with the college English teacher on a research unit where=20
their questions has to come from the career they plan to pursue. =20
Lots of career resources, SIRS, EMAS, Ebscohost.
        I work with a social studies teacher who has them plan a trip across=20
Europe.  Lots of atlases, books on countries, travel materials,=20
culturgrams.
        I work with a social studies teacher who has them for Missouri=20
history make baseball cards of 10 famous Missourians. =20
        I work with a science teacher who gives the kids case studies, which=20
they have to solve.  Internet, Hutchison CD-Rom, science=20
encyclopedias.
        Is this the type of response you want - let me know.  I can add=20
others.=20

Georganna Krumlinde, Librarian <krumling@mail.troy.k12.mo.us>
---------------------
We use the attached information (Word 6) as part of a brochure for new
teacher orientation.

You also might want to contact Sharon Thomas
(sharon.thomas@usd265.k12.ks.us) who heads the Kansas Association of
School Librarians program for contacting preservice teachers through
schools of education.

Diane Leupold
email:  tpsdmc@cjnetworks.com

Attachment Converted: "C:\EUDORA\Attach\NewTeacher2"
---------------------
I'm also getting ready to do my first stint in a
secondary methods class at a college.  I'm going to
talk about the goals and roles of a library/librarian
 (from Information Power).  I'm also going to hit on
the Internet and give ideas for sites that will help
these students now as they prepare to teach. =20

Could you pass on any ideas you get?  I have 75
minutes to fill, which shouldn't be a problem, but I
don't want to miss any of the high points.
Cyndi Gates, Librarian
cgates@southwind.net
library_cyndi@yahoo.com
----------------------
I haven't looked at the archives yet, but one thing I would mention
would be the studies that show flextime and colaboration help increase
state test scores for all the children.  You might also mention that the
librarian is usually a licensed teacher too and will understand the
jargon and the class room systems.   (In NC, we have to take grad.
classes in specific areas and then pass the PLT Praxis test if we did
not major in education for a batchelor degree.)=20

Hope it goes well!  Just being enthused about partnerships will go a
long way to getting them thinking about this. =20

Do they have an inhouse library in the school of education?  Or is that
you?  I worked out a plan with one of the professors to have her classes
come into the library and have them do research and work with us
(Library students who work there.) to get use to the idea of working as
a team.

Martie Mullenbach
---------------------
I've talked with several classes of college children's
lit. students - many to be teachers.  They were
absolutely amazed at what we could do to help them if
only they would let us know what they're doing and
share some planning time.  They were most receptive.

I'd share some collaborative planning projects -
across the curriculum, talk about interlibrary loan
services, and serial retrieval agreements.  Stress
personal, as well as, class stuff as many of these
students will be working on advanced degrees while
they are teaching.

Good luck.

Jill Brown, LMS
buflib@yahoo.com
--------------------------
Wow!  What a rich opportunity!  You might let them know that most
librarians have budgets which they will gladly spend on topics and titles
which teachers want.  If they see a great new book at a workshop or
bookstore, the librarian will probably be glad to put it into the next
order.  You might also let them know that the librarian usually knows what
everyone is teaching and what everyone's pet books are, so you can check
with the librarian to avoid stepping on the toes of veteran teachers who
will be totally annoyed if you read aloud Charlotte's Web in second grade
when they ALWAYS read it aloud in third.  Tell them that librarians LOVE to
be asked for suggestions for books to go with almost any theme or activity -
but give them a little advance notice so they can think and come up with the
best ideas.  (I find that my young teachers think that asking me for a
suggestion is a sign of weakness, while more experienced teachers KNOW that
they can't know every single book and ask me all the time.)
    Have fun!
    Ellen Heath, Librarian, Orchard School, Ridgewood, NJ

Jan Hylen=09
Education Librarian
University Library, MSC 3475
New Mexico State University