     First of all I'd like to thank everyone who reponded so quickly to my
query. Being a lone librarian in a private school, it's nice to know I have
so many helpful colleagues a "mouse click" away!
     The results I received were both pro and con, but I was happy to find
many had had success with their programs. A few free homework websites were
mentioned: www.schoolnotes.com, www.homeworknow.com, and www.myhomework.com.
They all seemed to be good sites, although I couldn't access
www.myhomework.com. Others had succss setting uptheir own templates using
spreadsheets such as Clarisworks and Excel. As I suspected, the most work
was getting the program set up. Once that work was done, updating didn't
take much time.
    On the con side, some mentioned the fact that not all students had
computers at home, so it was discriminatory towards them. Whose job would it
be to keep the updating done? A lot of time could be wasted hunting down
teachers for assignments if the teachers weren't sold on the concept. If
updating wasn't done, the information on the site would quickly become
incorrect, and the students wouldn't trust it. Others noted the fact that in
most schools, the teachers are overburdened as it is, and this would be one
more thing for them to do. Also, it was pointed out that some kids might
"turn theteacher off" in the classroom, thinking s/he could "get it on the
net".
     Several responded that the interent might not be the best avenue for
this kind of information. One of our teachers here suggested a voice mail
system which would take minutes to set up and update, would be available to
everyone (most have phones), and be easier to access. Hmm... another posting
for discussion?
     Finally, a response from a public librarian's point of view (which I
loved, having been a public librarian for 15 years!) In their eyes, it would
be great to have forewarning that an assignment wascoming up, and have an
actual copy of what was assigned. That would avoid a lot of confusion and
save a lot of time on their end!
     Again, thanks to all who reponded. I was sent a number of individual
sites that different schools have set up. I anyone would like to have a list
of those URL's, please e-mail me and I'll make them available. Martha

Martha Konczal
Roselle Catholic High School
Roselle, N.J. 07203
mkonczal@hotmail.com