I wonder how your principal would like to pass my library in the mornings. I
pop in a CD every day and crank the volume (OK, maybe crank is an
exaggeration, but you can hear the music throughout the library and the
halls). The kids who use the library in the morning are mainly there to
avoid the rain (we don't have a commons or indoor halls on most of our
campus). I've never received a complaint about the music--quite the
contrary. Several staff members who arrive early have made requests for
music they want to hear, most have complimented my choices, and a few have
made good-humored complaints about my musical taste.

Although it is obviously much more too,my philosophy is that a library
should be like the living room of the school. Students should be learning
there just as boisterously as they do elsewhere. There's a time for shushing
and a time not to shush. Learning should be as loud as appropriate, as
deemed by the person in charge of the lesson.  Anyone who thinks otherwise
sounds a little cranky to me.

I've fought a similar battle about who decides on the behavioral guidelines
for the library. Mine had to do with hats. (I don't care whether they wear
hats, school "authorities" object.

Cathy Belben, Librarian  cbelben@be.wednet.edu
Burlington-Edison High School
301 N. Burlington Blvd.
Burlington, WA  98233
(360) 757-4074 ext. 3128
"The closest we will ever come to an orderly universe is a good library."
-Ashleigh Brilliant