I purchased it last year from a book of the month club (for personal
reading).  I started reading it but became very disgusted with the
descriptive abuse scenes.   I will probably read it later but the accounts
that were described were disturbing to me.  In addition, the lack of "adult"
assistance which the child initially failed to receive hit "too close to
home" for me.  (I have worked with children who have lost their vision due
to "shaken baby syndrome", "prenatal drug abuse" or other abusive parental
actions....

I would have a hard time putting the book in my library right now.
(Censorship by selection?--well, at least I'm honest.)  If someone suggested
we purchase it, I would loan it personally, but I don't think some of my
students are prepared to read about this child/man's account of his life.
It's horrible and it should have never been allowed to happen.  However, I
would strongly suggest that anyone who places it in a middle school library
(or perhaps some high school libraries) read the reviews and perhaps even
read the entire book before making the decision.  I am also concerned with
the "aftermath of the book's publicity" (which I never followed-up on, but
was curious to learn if someone knows) that this account was NOT true...a
fictionalized account which some said was similar to "Mommy
Dearest"--Christine Crawford's (Joan Crawford's daughter) account of her
life with an abusive parent.  (It's a he-said, she-said thing, I guess...)

Just my opinion....

Shonda Brisco
LMS
Oklahoma School for the Blind