Subject: Target: Quizz sites for students to improve testing results

rom owner-lm_net@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU Tue Nov 23 12:57:13 1999
Hello helpful Netters,
The province of Ontario has instituted standardised tests for the past
two years and will continue to do so. Now the results may base the
funding the districts receive from the Ministry. We must find ways to
raise our test scores.
Our teachers have been using a broad range of assessment strategies to
produce the report card evaluation. This does not seem to be the answer
where standardised tests are concerned. We must practice the testing
methods of the May test so that students develop a comfort level - paper
and pencil tests, individual work.

So, this brings me to my request. I will be gathering urls that provide
on-line tests and offline test questions (multiple choice, short answer,
paragraph writing) for all grades. The tests are presently done in grade
3 (math and language), 6(math and language), (math grade 9), gr. 10
reading and writing  (the grade 10 test is a high stakes test- don't
pass -no high school graduation diploma, may be tried more than once)
Practice in test writing and skill development is needed in all grades
so the students are better prepared.
If anyone has sites such as:
http://www.bookadventure.org/index.html
http://atlas.gc.ca/english/carto/cart001.html

please send them to me. My goal is to make a web page (pages) that
teachers, parents, and students can go to and practice test taking at
home or at school. I will make every attempt to match the sites to
curricula for Ont. so that the teachers can connect this work to
curriculum expectations. There is no time for busy work. I will
definitely post a hit of the site when started. I hope you find this
useful.
Pat Elliott
Teacher/Librarian
Ferndale Woods Elementary School
Barrie, Ontario Canada
(home) mailto:pat.elliott@home.com
(school) mailto:pelliott@fer.scdsb.on.ca
(school web site) http://fer.scdsb.on.ca
To send messages to Simcoe Selections' members
mailto:simcoe_selections@egroups.com
(Simcoe Cyber Selections web site) http://fer.scdsb.on.ca/simcoe/
(Simcoe Cyber Selections message archive- for members)
http://www.eGroups.com/group/simcoe_selections/
To join Simcoe Cyber Selections listserv send a request to my home
address.