Hello all,
At our school, we are currently dealing with several issues relating to
reading on the secondary level.  If any of you have any suggestions,
programs, ideas, please forward them to me and I will forward these on
to our school improvement team.
    1.  Block scheduling and reading:  Teachers are not offering free
reading assignments or choices .
        Library use for research is up, but not for recreational
reading--teachers and students say there
        is simply not enough time for both.  If you are on block
scheduling, what is your experience
        with circulation statistics?
      2.  Class sets:  the English department, social studies, and
science departments all use class sets of
        certain novels or non-fiction books so library circulation stats
for other reading is down, which is
        a concern for these teachers and for me.   The books are good
choices and I do circulate them from
        the library, but I would like for them to use our collection
also.
    3.  We do not offer a reading incentive program such as AR--is such
a program really beneficial
        on the secondary level?   The staff is divided on this issue.
   4.  What type of program works best on the secondary level to
increase reading skills and  to
        increase reading enjoyment?  Is there such a creature in
existence?
   5.   I have been weeding the collection and trying to determine what
to buy that our students will
        read.  I have done surveys, but these have not been very
successful on the student level--teachers
    did make suggestions and teacher reading is up.   What do you do to
get high schoolers to read?
 Thanks,
Teresa Sterchi
Alcoa High School