Good Morning!

Recently we upgraded to Follett 4.0 for Windows running on a Windows NT
network. Through the use of the product MAC OPAC and TCP/IP the Follett
system can also communicate with the student MAC's in the library allowing
students to search the OPAC in the library. All this is good and proper and
what was supposed to happen.
Question: Since all of the classroom computers are networked also, the OPAC
could be loaded on each classroom computer and access to the OPAC could be
gained from each classroom bypassing the need to come to the library to
search for books and other library materials. My concern is this: even
though we provide instruction and guidance and resource help in the library,
with the availability of both the internet and library OPAC in every
classroom, at what point does the library simply become a "warehouse" of
books. Students will simply come to the library to retreive the materials
they need and take them merrily on their way. True the need for librarian
services is needed to select new books, process/catalog, and provide
expertise to students but the thought of the "Library without walls" as it
has been called is somewhat intimidating to me. But it is now here. I would
like some feedback before I move out on this endeavor which one Learning
Support teacher has requested and my Tech Coordinator is encouraging. I am
confused!

Many of you have responded to my requests for information in the past and I
truly appreciate your help. Thank you.

Randall Dick
Locust Grove Mennonite School
Smoketown, PA