I can't resist responding to this hit.  Why would you limit the number of books a
child may check out, unless your collection is very small?  Don't we as adults
get unlimited check out at public libraries?  Where will children learn how to
handle unlimited check out unless they get the practice?  I have unlimited check
out in my K - 6 library, I lose very few books and I feel kids love to read
here.  When I first became a librarian, I did have a limit on the books a child
could take.  Then I noticed that the non readers, the children who did not like
to read, etc. figured out that if they took 2 books home and left them there all
year, they would never need to check out another book.......that convinced me
that a limited check out was detrimental to my goal of all kids reading all the
time....so I changed my policy, I have unlimited check out and it works for me.
I feel it trains kids to be responsible for books and trains them for adult use
of libraries.
ML Potter