Thanks to all! Here are the edited versions of the responses - hope this
helps!

Try www.teachertimesavers.com for units of study dealing with this subject
and grade level.
***
Leif Erikson, Erik the Red, other Vikings to Iceland Greenland
and Nova Scotia.  St. Brendan and Irish monks.
Thor Heydahl's books about the Kon-Tiki and the reed boats from Egypt?
There is a book called Europe in 1492  (Jean Fritz?) that talks about life
there before Columbus "discovered: the new world  There is a paperback
called Rethinking Columbus.  Jane Yolen's book Encounter.  Also for the
teacher The Columbian Exchange
***
How about Leif Erickson and the other vikings? Estavanico (Stephen the
Black)? You can find links to information about a lot of explorers at the
"Tracks: Impressions of America" Web site at this address:
http://www.ecb.org/tracks/mod2.htm
***
If you can take material off the Web, take a look at
http://www.multnomah.lib.or.us/lib/homework/explorhc.html . When I worked
for Multnomah County Library in Portland, OR, we created this directory of
sites on explorers largely because books on explorers don't seem to be
published the way they used to be--maybe because of "political correctness"
issues.
***
We just covered this with 7th grade; in addition to your list, we
investigated:  Batolomeu Diaz; Vasco da Gama; Amerigo Vespucci; Pedro
Alvarez Cabral; Prince Henry (the Navigator); Sir Humphrey Gilbert; Martin
Frobisher; Leif Ericson; Capt. John Smith; Marco Polo; Lewis and Clark;
james Cook. Alert students that spelling varies!
***
Some online resources: Explorers & Exploration
http://www.alltogethernow.org/sc/42.htm (I personally think this is a great
site and visit there all the time! ssg)
***
Don't forget Leif Eriksson!
***
Around the World in 100 Years by Jean Fritz is heavily used by our fifth
graders.  For other names, try checking the Related Articles / See Also
lists in encyclopedias -- World Book is great for this.
***
There's an interactive project for grades 4-8 on the Internet in which kids
can "talk" to Magellan, Cabot, etc. by e-mail. It's part of a program called
"Ocean Explorers". <http://www.onlineclass.com/Oceans/>
Also, as part of that Web site, there's a bibliography of books on ocean
explorers at http://www.onlineclass.com/Oceans/resources.html
***
 How about Amerigo Vespucci and Prince Henry the Navigator?  Do you have
Jean Fritz's Around the World in a Hundred Years?
***
I haven't checked these sites thoroughly, but plan to look for my teachers,
too.  There look like some good possibilities at
http://www.malletc.com/homeschool/#History.
***
Thank you, Marsha, for the kind words and thanks to all others who took time
to respond. 10,000 heads are better than 1!  :-)

Susan Grigsby, LMS
The Epstein School, Atlanta Georgia
sgrigsby@epstein-atl.org

What is hateful to you, do not to another: this is the whole Torah, the rest
is commentary.  Hillel.