Thank you for the suggestions of nonfiction/fiction pairs for grade 2:

Rosie, a visiting dog's story / by Stephanie Calmenson ; photographs by
Justin Sutcliffe c1994    followed by    Officer Buckle and Gloria: by
Peggy Rathmann 1995

597... Snakes... Any snake book published by Rourke is great for 2nd
graders paired with The Day My Boa Ate the Wash by Steven Kellogg.
Great fun.

Babies... Baby (I think is the title) published by Creative Education
paired with Bye, Bye, Baby by Janet Alberg.  (The Baby book is a
beautifully photographed book of a baby growing in utero).

Libraries... 100's... Inside-Outside Book of Libraries by Julie Cummins
paired with Stella Luella's Runaway Book by Lisa Campbell Ernst.

I use Verdi (about Snakes) and then a "real snakes" book. We compare and
contrast.

Last week I used I Took My Frog to the Library by Kimmelman and
Libraries by Gail Gibbons.  I also gave each pair of students a pair of
books and a Venn diagram chart.  They wrote the titles of the books on
each half of the Venn.  After looking at their books, they wrote fiction
or nonfiction under the appropriate title and any clues that helped them
know how to decide fiction or nonfiction.  In the middle they could
write anything about the books that was alike - subject, etc.

My students love Koala Lou by Mem Fox.  I have used it with Koala by
Caroline Arnold.  You don't have to read the Arnold bk. word for word.

How about reading any of Lobel's Frog and Toad books and then reading a
simple nonfiction book about frogs/toads -- there are several titles
that would work.  An added level is to discuss with children that
sometimes there are true (factual) parts in a fiction book.  For
example, how can readers tell frog from toad in Lobel's books?  The
non-fiction book will verify that the toad is usually squatter, brown,
etc. while frogs (although not always) are green with longer legs and so
forth.

Aliki's Keep Your Mouth Closed, Dear and Imagine You are a Crocodile, by
Karen Wallace. We pointed out that the one 'looks' like a picture/story
book, but really was the one with the facts! Worked great.

I have been known to show the video version of "Tuesday" and then we
practice my favorite tongue twister "fifty flying frogs are fiction".
This is paired with a frog book.

Last year I used a non-fic book on owls and compared to Owl At Home.

I use the same lesson with _Two Bad Ants_ by Chris VanAllsburg with _Ant
Cities_ by Arthur Dorris.

I am preparing a similar lesson with 1 graders.  I am reading Popcorn by
Frank Asch and The Popcorn Book by Tomie de Paola.

Try Danny the Dinosaur with any easy, nonfiction dinosaur book you have.
I think the author of the Danny book is Syd Hoff, but I'm at the high
school now, so I can't tell you for sure.

Another good book to use to explain fact/fiction is Animal Fact/Animal
Fable by Seymour Simon.

For those of you who are interested, on Tue, 28 Sep 1999, there was
another useful hit posted dealing with teaching fiction and nonfiction
(Subject: HIT, ELEM: Introducing NonFiction).

Mary Fran

--
        Mary Frances McLaughlin
        Temporary Librarian Penn Wynne Elementary School