Here is my original request (each question is immediately followed by the
answers I received):
   "I have been thinking that my biography collection does not get checked out
frequently unless the book in question is an AR book.  I would like to
increase the circulation of that area but realize it could also use some new
books.  I have two requests for you:
     1.  What are some tried and true activities that you have used that I
         could try with my students?"
            Read _Wilma_Unlimited_ to the students, show relevant websites, and
              have students make medals that reward personal accomplishments)
            Make a display about biographies:
              "Read about the writer" display with biographies/autobiographies
                and books written by that author
              "Read about the athlete"
            Helpful HITS in the archives and their dates:
              HIT: Primary Biography (6/1/96)
              HIT: Biography Lesson Plan (9/6/98)
              HIT#2: Biographies (9/7/98)
    "2.  Please recommend some excellent biographies and autobiographies that
         I could purchase for my collection.  I especially need biographies on
         about a 2nd or 3rd grade reading level.  (I discovered when I tried to
         do a booktalk on autobiography that we only had 10 autobiographies in
         the entire collection and I was doing the booktalk for three classes!)"
           Sport biographies by Matt Christopher (mentioned twice)
           American History series by Jean Fritz
           Author biographies by R.C. Owen in Katnah, NY
           Chelsea House biographies
           African American (or his biographies in general) by David Adler
            (mentioned twice)
           Taylor Publishing (autobiograpies on contemporary sport figures)
           Books on: Tara Lapinski(?) and Dr. Seuss
           Biography related lists at:
             http://www.alltogethernow.org is listed under "Great Reading"

Vicki Asper
Media Coordinator