Hi LM_NETters!
I'm behind on my mail, so I didn't get to this request till tonight, but I
just couldn't resist sharing.  This is my first year and I started by giving
my 4th, 5th, and 6th graders a tour of the library.  I literally led them
through the nonfiction section and explained exactly what was on each shelf
and why it was placed there.  When you do it like that, it actually makes
sense.  The 300s  are for Social Sciences, the study of people.  Anything and
everything about people.  Where they live, what they eat, where they work,
how they get around, etc.,  394 is holidays, how they celebrate them, and
what holidays they do celebrate.  398 are the stories that they tell each
other, and their children, year after year, that have been handed down from
one generation to another.  That is why folklore, folkstories, fairy tales,
and tall tales are all in the same section.  They are the traditional stories
that have been passed down from one generation to another.  See?  I hope this
helps, I know I saw heads nodding when I told my kids that.

For all of the kind folks who have been emailing me and offering support, I
humbly thank each and everyone of you.  Things are going better, although
half of my equipment remains lost.  I have been putting in a lot of elbow
grease into making my library warm and welcoming, and I had so many parents
last week at our open house, that I literally did not sit down for nearly 4
hours!  I have gotten a lot of volunteers to help, now I just have to
schedule time to train them!  Again, many thanks!  Marcy

Marcia Berbeza
LMS
Bayard Elementary School
Christina School District