Group -- Thank you so much for the song lyric information.  A couple of
people asked for a hit, so here are the responses, edited for duplication
only.  Thankfully, I've not been asked to sing it -- I may have to provide
kazoo accompaniment, though!!

My original request:  This is genuine needle-in-a-haystack question!!  I
hope someone can help.  I
am looking for the words to a particular song.

All that is known about it is that it has the phrase "I was born on a farm
down in Ioway".  I have searched the web, looked at all the lyric sites I
know of, looked in books and asked my mother (an Iowa history expert) -- all
to no avail.  Someone had directed me to the state song of Iowa, but that
wasn't it.  The song predates 1960.
***************************************
Here are the responses I got:

***************************************
>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/5409/songs/iowa.htm
>
>I Was Born in a Farm Down in Iowa
I was born on a farm down in Iowa,
Fiery youth I had to have my way,
I packed my bags,
And I took my sack,
And I flew, I flew,
A rooty tooty tooty tooty!

Repeat getting faster and faster each time

>Hand movements:
>Slap knees twice, Clap twice,
>Pass right hand over left twice, then left over right twice,
>Hit right fist on left twice, then left on right twice,
>snap right, snap left,
>Right thumb over shoulder twice, Left thumb over shoulder twice,
>Make motion of throwing sack over shoulder,
>Wave with right hand, wave with left hand,
>Spin right finger
>Try this site: http://www.gazetteonline.com/history/gen002.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/5409/songs/iowa.htm
http://www.bright.net/~mrbanjo/goofus.htm
>The song is called Goofus. The Carpenters recorded it. I sing it now and
>then with my guitar. You really need to hear it to appreciate it...it's a
>delightful song! I'll see if I can remember all the words:
>
>Goofus
>
>I was born on a farm down in Ioway
>A flaming youth I was bound I would fly away
>I packed my grip and I grabbed my saxophone
>
>Can't read notes but I play anything by ear
>I made up tunes on the sounds that I used to hear
>When I used to pla
>Folks used to say
>Sounds a little goofus to me
>
>Corn-fed chords appeal to me
>I like rustic harmony
>Hold the note and change the key
>Oh, but that's goofus
>Not according to the rules
>That you learn in music schools
>But the folks just dance like fools
>They sure go for goofus
>
>Got a job but I just couldn't keep it long
>The leader said that I played all the music wrong
>So I stepped out with an outfit of my own
>
>Got together my own kind of orchestry
>And we all played just the same goofus harmony
>And I must admit
>We made a hit
>Goofus has been lucky for me

Thanks again!!

Cyndi Gates, Librarian
Hutchinson High School
Hutchinson, KS
cgates@southwind.net

"Having more fun than the average bear ..."