Ihope that i am doing this correctly. Thanks to all who answered.
I am posting a HIT on the topic of putting the school card catalog on the
Internet. It seems to me that most circ system have a module that you can
purchase for the particular system. I investigated and found that our
system EOS  Int'l charges $1995 plus $350 for maint. We just had to
upgrade our circ system for $3000 and already pay $695 for yearly
maintenance. Unlesss
weget funded(HA) we'll have to find another way.

At Saints our library staff are the only people who access the
master system.  Each time the network is backed up (midnight)
the secondary copy is overwritten by the master copy.  The
students have access to this secondary copy.  They are not aware
that it is secondary or that it is one day behind the 'real' copy.
This arrangement would ensure for your purposes that security is
not breached.

You would need to be careful about outside access slowing down
your server.

Do you want to restrict access to your own staff and students and
if so, how will you do this?  If it is to search your OPAC then if you
have a modular package, you could restrict access just to the
search module.

Our OPAC can only be accessed from the Intranet as the
programme itself is still awaiting a browser interface. To do so the
boys access the Global Resource Centre which has an icon
leading to OPAC.  We hope to give them full on-line access as
soon as possible.

We use the Web Collection +  package from Follett and have been very
satisfied with it.  It's a read only thing, but students can put a hold on
book from home and pick it up the next day at the library.  The program
stays open on our NT server task bar so it is always active.  Check out
our
site at: www.longleaf.brevard.fl.us.   Click on the "Links" button in the
left hand index and go to "Student Resources".

There are also a lot of HS Web + sites at the Follett Neighborhood -- one
from Oswego, NY.
http://www.fsc.follett.com/products/webcollectionplus/follett-neighborhood/
The neat part about this page is that you can click on the "Follett School
Library" on this page and find websites on any subject, listed as computer
files within the collection.  I just have to figure out how to put my
school
on this neighborhood page.  Have the instructions, but you know -- just
getting 'round to it!  :-)  The neighborhood site has a wealth of research
info, even if you don't have your own school s/w package.

I imagine there are similar s/w packages if you have a different circ
system.

I used a software package that utilizes a marc file that I save and then
post on the server.  The card catalog is not "live" on the web - you can't
see what is in or checked out, but you also can't tamper with the real
program.  You can look at it at www.birchlane.davis.ca  - just go to the
blue search button at the top of the home page.

There was some information about this on LM_Net last year.  I think I
saved
the info I got.  I will copy it below for you.  We signed up for the free
program, but my tech lady didn't get it installed.  I would really like to
have this.

Please post a hit if you get some useful information, or at least share it
with me.
t isn't too good to be true and would not be violating your agreement with
Follett as it is only YOUR own database that is being posted - it is not
using any part of the Follett program.

Here is the text of David's original post:
> Success at last! Most of the schools in our province are likely
>never to be able to afford the web-publishing modules of any of the
library
>automation systems. Therefore, I have been searching (in vain) for a
>program that would translate MARC records into something that FileMaker
Pro
At 08:57 AM 3/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I saved your LM_Net posting of 1/25/99.  I just now checked out your
website.  I am really impressed!

>Do I understand that you have put your collection on there for NO CHARGE?
What is the catch?  Isn't there a hidden charge?  Will you have to start
paying later?

>I would love to be able to do this! We have Follett Unison on the DOS
platform, but it is only a single-user license.  My school cannot afford
pay the fee for multi-user.  I feel bad that access is now more limited
than
it was when we had a card catalog.  Do you think I would be violating my
agreement with Follett if I did this?

>As you can probably tell, I am somewhat of a neoophyte.  This is my first
year as a school librarian, though I got my MLS almost thirty years ago.
love my job!

Your tech person is probably the only one who should handle this job!
You may need to provide your administration with information
concerning the need for the catalog to be on the server in order to
provide your student population with the skills they will need when
they enter college or technical schools in a few short years.  They
will be need to be able to find information quickly and be able to
evaluate it.

Viviane J. Lampach, Librarian
The Bronx H.S. of Science
75 W. 205th Street