Thanks to all who responded.  You people are all so generous with your time
and knowledge.  Here are the hits.

Murray Leinster's "The Time Tunnel" was the basis for the TV series of the
same name in the '60s.  Harry Turtledove's "The Guns of the South" dealt
with it
as an alternative history subject, and was excellent.

How about A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain.
Also, A Girl Called Boy, by Hurmence, in which a young girl in the South
travels back and becomes a slave.  And The Devil's Arithmetic, in which a
Jewish girl travels back into  Nazi times.
Books by Phillippa Pearce, and the Greene Knowe books by L.M. Boston are
time-travel books, but more likely to be found in an elementary library.

Walker in Time, Walker's Journey Home and Tag against Time   is a series by
Helen Hughs Vick... she also has teaching manuals.
        Setting is here in AZ and the books are written around Arizona
historical facts but the basic story line is about two boys (one in ancient
Native American times and the other in the late 1800's) who enter a cave
during a thunderstorm and are transported to each others time... how they
live and adjust ... how they return home to their own time...etc. wonderful
at any age but used here in connection with the 4th grade AZ history units
as a read aloud

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander
Max and Me and the Wild West by Bob Ruddick and _____ Greer (a couple other
Max and Me titles as well)
A Warp in Time by Madeline L'Engle
The Singularity by Richard Peck
Building Blocks by Cynthia Voigt (travels into the past)
T.J. and the Pirate Who Wouldn't Go Home by Carol Gorman
Blossom Culp series by Richard Peck
Princess in the Pigpen by Jane Resh Thomas

the Dark Is Rising series is great for time travel.

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander

The new Susan Cooper book is really interesting, about a boy who is in a
play in today's Globe Theater but is also an actor in Shakespeare's time.
It is called King of Shadows.

My absolute favorite time traveler is "Charlotte Sometimes" by
Penelope Farmer.

 it has to do
with a little boy traveling -- The Phantom Tollbooth --.  Also, have you
read -- The Golden Compass -- I have forgotten if they travel but I thought
so?

The Root Cellar by Janet Lunn
Eating Between the Lines by Kevin Major
Awake and Dreaming by Kit Pearson
Secret of the Cards by Sonia Craddock

One that comes to mind is "Guns of the South," by Harry Turtledove.
Twentieth century Boers travel back in time to the Civil War to give the
Confederates twentieth-century arms, thereby giving them an advantage so
they don't lose the Civil War.

Madeleine L'Engle wrote a time travel book...
related to, but not exactly sequels of the
Wrinkle in Time series...

Diane Galdabron's Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, etc.

Devil's Arithmetic_ by Jane Yolen has time travel.  A Jewish girl goes
from present day U.S. to Poland right before the Nazi occupation begins.
Somewhere in Time(Bid Time Return) and The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan(Second
Sight), both movies that dealt with time travel.(Both based on books by the
way).

She recommended Diana Gabaldon's first book, Outlander and from there I was
hooked.  The other books in that series are Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, and
Drums of Autumn.  Her latest book is now The Outlandish Companion, a
synopsis and guide to the first four books so that when she finishes books 5
and 6 in the series you don't have to go back and reread the others every
time.  She has done extensive research and if you are into Scottish
Highlander history you might like them.  She is not happy that they are
categorized romance but her publisher assured her that was the largest
market and her books are essentially romances, if a bit longer than most!
It is a very popular genre now and there are whole series of them.  I have
probably read a couple hundred of these books over the last few years...my
one concession to pulp fiction!  Another author that has several books that
are time travel is Jack Finney; Time to Time, Time and Again and a few
others including the short story that was done on TV a year or so ago about
the desk with the letter?  I don't remember the name of that right off
handThe books by Jack Finney (like "Time and Again") and Connie Willis's "To
Say Nothing of the Dog."  Lots of sci fi involves time travel, too.

Sleator's _Singularity_.Connecticut Yankee in King ARthur's Court - Twain
Both Sides of Time - Cooney

Andre Norton did a series in a cold war context.
A search on Amazon.com turned up "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle
as well as 1319 others.
Part of the complexity of the subject deals with defining what you mean
by time travel. There is the simple concept of going back our own
timeline to see prior events or forward to see where things go (HG
Wells) but anything done there, any decision made ther, creates a
branching time line of what-ifs. There are many works that deal with
such alternate timelines, from high-tech Victorians, to a US divided by
the South winning the Civil War, etc. The TV series "Sliders" deals with
some of those concepts. And then those that deal with time travelers
entering our time and place.

The Time Warp Trio series by Jon Scieszka
The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne
Max and me and the time machine by Gery Greer
Secret under the whirlpool by Elaine Breault Hammond
Handful of time by Kit Pearson
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Lots of them, but not strictly time travel for its own sake, sort of part of
the story.  Like Mary Downing Hahn's newest"Time for Andrew" where a young
boy travels back to the past and his cousin takes his place in the future.
Two of my all time favorites are:
Peck - Voices after midnight
Yolen - Devil's Arithmetic

There are soooo many....Sciesczka and Smith's Time Warp Trio series,
Uptime, Downtime by Peel, Riddle of Pencroft Farm by Jensen, Switching Well
by Griffin, Devil's Arithmetic by Yolen, Richard Peck's Blossom Culp books
are just a few that come to mind immediately.
Running Out of Time was an awesome story not quite a time travel story but a
whole community of people living like it was in the 18 hundreds, while
people from present time watch how they live without elect., cars, ect. I
enjoyed it.

Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

    Two titles come to mind:
                Stephen Gould       Wildside (teens find a trap door in an
old barn that leads to a prehistoric landscape)
The other is a William Sleator title, for the life of me I can't remember!
(But teens again find a stone in the back yard shed that covers a hole to
another dimension)

The Caroline Cooney trio, Both
Sides of Time, Out of Time, and I forget the third; Switching Well

Kon Tiki?

,  Barro "The Ancient One",  Bond " String in the Harp". Just some
of the ones I have that my older readers like. I went into Follett's
"Titlewave", gave a reading level of 7.0 with a YA interest level  and
typed Time Travel.

Time and Again
Time After Time
Bid Time Return

the Outlander series - Time Travel in Scotland. Excellent
series.

The Devil's Arithmetic.

How about The Danger Quotient by Annabel Johnson?  Also, I think
Fade by Robert Cormier involved time travel, in addition to the ability
to "fade" in and out of situations.  Lastly, isn't there a Lois
Duncan book that involves time travel?  Something like Locked in
Time, or something like that.

How about the recent Caroline Cooney books - Out of time, Both Sides of
Time, Prisoner of Time.  Maybe Indian in the Cupboard books.  Checking in
the Bergen County website that I use for getting records to use in
cataloging, looking up time travel as a subject, it gives, among others,
Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander; Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
(Mark Twain); Jennifer Stewart's If That Breathes Fire, We're Toast; Amelia
Atwater-Rhodes,  In the forests of the night; Paulsen,  The Transall saga;
Jon Scieszka, the Time Warp Trio books; Peg Kehret, The Volcano Disaster
and The Blizzard Disaster (others??); Virginia Hamilton, Justice and Her
Brothers and Dustland; Nancy Bond, String in the Harp; Sid Fleischman, The
13th Floor; Anna Quindlen, Happily Ever After; Anne Rice, Servant of the
Bones;

George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff deals
with time travel
===
The earliest are Dickens' "A
Christmas Carol" (1843) and Poe's "A Tale of the Ragged Mountains"
(1844). Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's Court" (1889) is
another noteable example that predates Wells' 1895 classic. Some
noteworthy science fiction time travel stories (in no particular order)
Heinlein; The Door into Summer
           All you zombies (short story)
           By his bootstraps (short story)
Willis; Doomsday Book
        Not to mention the dog
Anderson; Time Patrol (and sequels)
        Dancer from Atlantis
Asimov; The End of Eternity
Niven; The Flight of the Horse (short story collection)
Bayley; Fall of the Chronopolis
DeCamp; lest Darkness Fall
Williamson; Legion of time
Dick; Ubik
      Counter Clock World
Dickson; Time Storm
Moorcock; Behold the man
         Dancers at the end of time (trilogy)
Watson; The very slow time machine (short story)
Kornbluth; the Little black bag (short story)
Kuttner & Moore; The Twonky (short story)
       Mimsey were the borogroves (short story)
Gerrold; the man who folded himself
Bishop; No enemy but time
Finney; Time and Again
Matheson; Bid time return
Hawke; Timewars (series)
Powers; Anubis gates
Vinge; Marooned in real time
Leiber; the Big Time
Moore; Vintage season (short story)
Moore; Bring the Jubilee
Hoyle; October the 1st is too late
Aldiss; An age (aka Cryptozoic)
Varley; Millennium
Tucker; The Lincoln Hunters
Silverberg; Voran 19
          Up the Line
          Timehoppers
          Stepsons of Terra
Bester; The men who murdered Mohammed (short story)
Brunner; Times without numberhow about Pearce's "Tom's Midnight Garden" as a
replacement -One notable Australian time travel
story for children is Ruth Park's "Playing Beatie Bow" which has been
filmed as a movie.

The Devil's Arithmetic
A Wrinkle in Time
The Time Warp Trio series
A Matter of Time
The Return of the Indian
Secret of the Indian
SOmething Upstairs
The Doll in the Garden
Time for Andrew
The GatheringTime for Andrew
Time Warp Trio Series - there are 5 or 6 of these
Mr. Was Pete Hautman
Honus & Me - Dan Gutman

Fog Magic by Julia Sauer (girl uses fog to go back in time)
Time For Andrew by Mary Downing Hahn (?) (boy goes back in time and changes
places with another boy)

Pam Conrad's Stonewords.

How about The Time Warp Trio books by Scieszka?
And Greer has a couple of titles, too.

A String in the Harp - Nancy Bond
Green Knowe books - L.M. Boston
Time Cat - Lloyd Alexander
In the Circle of Time - Margaret Anderson
To Nowhere and Back - Margaret Anderson
The Trolley to Yesterday - Johns Bellairs
A Time of Darkness - Jordan
The Time Garden - Edward Eager
Switching Well - Griffin
The York Trilogy (Shadows on the Wall, Footprints at the Window, ?)-
    by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
The Sword of Culann - Betty Levin

Another book: Bid Time Return (Became "Somewhere in Time" the movie) by
Richard Matheson.

Bartholomew - Child of Tomorrow (part of a trilogy)
Carpenter; Catweazle (from a TV series)
Chilton; String of Time
           A Spray of leaves
Corlett; the land beyond
Eager; Time tangle
Farmer; Cgharlotte sometimes
French; Somewhere around the corner
Gleeson; Eleanor, Elizabeth
Kaye; A breath of fresh air
Lisson; The devil's own
Maybury; time twister
Macrobbie; Timelock
Pascall; Hanging out with Cici
Stolz; Cat in the Mirror
Weldrick; Time Sweep
Wheatley; merchant of death
Wilson; Is anybody there? - spirit raising

Devil's arithmetic--Yolen
In the time of the dinosaurs--Applegate
The Forgotten--Applegate
Lost in cyberspace--Peck