We LOVE our laser printer!  It is fast - we have one for our entire lab
(27computers).  We recently ordered 2 more.  We have black and white
only because of cost.  We have HP 4000 N and just ordered 4050 N.  If
you have lots to print, I would go with the laser if possible.  But if
speed and volume are not great considerations, the ink jet would be
fine.

Do you make your own barcodes? If you do, the quality is MUCH higher
using a laser printer.

We have three laser printers...one for the library, two in the computer
lab (we are connected) and they are fast and high quality...cost around
$1200 apiece back in May...may be less now!..But, remember that the ink
cartridges will run about $100...We have not replaced ANY of them since
installation in May (and we are year round and open for classes all 12
months, and run off
report cards, make barcodes, etc.)...These are HP 600N printers...found
them on the Gateway site...are Internet ready, and I can print from
either and Mac
or a pc...and all I had to do to put them on the school file
server/network was plug them in!

The biggest benefit of a laser printer is the speed, and the fact that
the toner cartridges lasts a LONG time. The toner costs about 3 times as
much as an ink jet cartridge, but they probably last 15 times as long. I
had three ink jets in my library to service 6 computers for students.
The laser handles all of that and more, much faster--there is no
comparison.

Printer choices are a matter of local needs.  We use a Lexmark 1650N
laser for most printing; laser printing is very clear, less likely to
smudge than ink jet, and the 1650N has a built-in network card and
prints
16 pages per minute.  It's wonderful for student papers, research from
online periodical databases, and other black-and-white jobs.  Our
Hewlett Packard ink jet is reserved for projects that require color,
because those $35 cartridges would need replacing weekly if I didn't
restrict its use.

     We went to a network printer last year to cut down on waste and
reduce troubleshooting time.  Before the networked printer, we had a
printer for every two computers.  Some students would hit the print key
repeatedly, then leave multiple copies lying about. With a single
networked printer at circulation, those students know we'll spot
wastefulness.  Also, we used to have six printers scattered about,
jamming, running out of paper and ink, being "fixed" by students and
teachers, and requiring lots of troubleshooting.  With one networked
printer at circulation desk, we add a toner cartridge once a year
(cartridges cost about $180 but last us a year), add paper once a day,
and
clear a jam about once a week.

The difference between ink jet and laser jet is a matter of quantity and
quality.  Ink jets are made for home use and don't hold up well under
high volume.  Laser jets are made for business and do much better under
high volume. In either case-I highly recommend HP (Hewlett Packard) no
matter which one you get.

It really depends on what you want to do with it and how heavily it will
be used. If you aren't big on printing with color, and if you have a lot
of printing to do or the printer is heavily used, I'd go with a laser. I
just love my little HP Laserjet 1100 printers. Bought one for each of my
libraries. They are much FASTER than inkjets and the print quality is
much
better, especially if you are doing barcodes on them. The toner
cartridge will also print more documents than an inkjet cartridge, so
you replace less frequently. Also on my inkjet, it could easily take 3
hours for all
the pages to print for an end of semester overdue notice set. It would
take a matter of minutes on the laserjet. I do keep the inkjet for the
times that I want a color banner or poster, though, or when students
need something printed in color. With $1300 you might be able to get
both, if you play your cards right. The Laserjet 1100 cost me about $400
with tax and shipping from an online source, and it comes with its own
printer cable, so you don't have to buy one separately. A good color
inkjet would probably cost you even less.

I would go with a laser.  The quality is much better, handles higher
volumes of printing better, and cost less than an inkjet per page.  (saw
the figures in a computer magazine) I just purchased an HP 4050N (rated
at 17ppm)for my library.  We had an HP4000N in the business department
which has never given us any grief so far. Check in a few of the mail
order computer catalogs (PC Connection or PC Mall).  I believe you can
get the printer for 1300.00 if not less. Hope this helps. :)

The HP 4000 series laser printer is the best on the market.  It is the
fastest and best quality laser printer available.  Cost is about $1100.