Hello everyone, I had many requests for a hit. So here it
is:

Hi!  It's nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with
this situation. I
have K-5 classes on a fixed schedule - twice a week for 30
minutes.
In my school, third and fourth grades are combined.  I begin

the year by
introducing the Dewey Decimal categories. I read a book from

each category
or do a brief book talk on a few different books. We keep a
chart of the
categories. This usually takes about 15 minutes.
Afterwards, they are
allowed to browse. When we get to fiction, I introduce
authors.  I like to
focus on literature during library class time rather than
skills because
when they are out of context.

I give the teachers a list of library and technology skills
at the beginning
of the year.  These skills are taught throughout the year.
I try to make
suggestions for lessons that incorporate some research
skills.  For
instance, I found an almanac activity that focuses on facts
about nutrition,
calories, etc.  I suggested this activity to the third grade

teacher for her
unit on nutrition.

Here are my skills for these age groups:

Third Grade Library/Technology Curriculum:
“Third-graders need a general idea of what materials are
available and where
they are located.  They do not need a detailed description
of classification
or an in-depth study of the Dewey Decimal System.  They can
understand that
there are two main categories of materials – fiction and
nonfiction.  They
can learn that the purpose of a call number is to pull
together books on one
topic.  The card catalog is a complicated thing for them to
use, and they
need help and encouragement.

They need many opportunities for success to build
self-confidence: looking
up a topic, finding the call number, and locating the book
or other
material.  Research in the library media center can consist
of using the
source of information to answer a question or to investigate

a topic of
personal interest.  In-depth reports combining multiple
sources are beyond
the cognitive capabilities of most third-graders.  They are
ready to take
the initial step toward building research and reporting
capabilities.  They
are naturally interested in new things and are eager to
expand their
knowledge.  Structure that resists their inquisitive nature
should be
avoided.  They should be encouraged to follow their own
interests and to
develop meaningful questions of their own.

Third-grade children can learn to recall, summarize, and
paraphrase
information rather than copying word for word.  “Saying it
in your own
 words” is an accepting environment in which the child’s
language is as
acceptable as the authors.  This is the beginning of an
awareness of
plagiarism and how to avoid it.”
from Carol Kuhlthau's
"Meeting the Information Needs
of Children and Young Adults:
Basing Library Media Programs
on Developmental States"
Journal of Youth Services in Libraries
Fall 1988 p.51-57.

The third grade curriculum begins by introducing students to

the Dewey
Decimal System.  They are expected to know the basic
contents of the 10
categories and use this information for browsing.  Students
are also read to
and introduced to well-known fiction and nonfiction
authors.  Additionally,
they are expected to read independently.  Finally, third
graders begin to
learn about some basic reference sources such as the
dictionary,
encyclopedia, almanac, atlas, etc.  Because these skills are

best learned in
the context, objectives are taught in conjunction with
research projects in
the classroom.

3 – Objectives are taught throughout the year.
Library Skills – 3rd
? Appreciates non-fiction works
? Masters biographies
? Appreciates longer fictional works.
? Investigates short story collections.
? Explores reference works.
? Recognizes importance and function of library catalog.
? Utilizes dictionary skills.
? Uses general encyclopedias.
? Makes use of magazines.

Computer skills – 3rd
? Turns on computer.
? Cares for floppy discs and CD-ROMs.
? Manipulates windows.
? Controls and uses the mouse effectively.
? Opens programs via icon and/ or start menu.
? Creates new files.
? Opens existing files from hard drive and floppy disc.
? Saves files.
? Prints.
? Quits programs appropriately.
? Uses proper keyboarding technique to type simple
documents.
? Inserts, deletes, and edits text in word processing
documents.
? Properly shuts down computer.
? Loads printer paper.
? Navigates to specific web site using URLs.
? Bookmarks a web site.
? Reads and sends e-mail messages.
? Recognizes examples of proper and improper ethical uses of

computers and
software.

 Fourth Grade Library/Technology Curriculum:
Fourth graders are nine years old and capable of close
attention and
prolonged interest.  Their basic information need at this
time is to
continue expanding their communication abilities of reading,

writing,
listening, and speaking through opportunities to apply the
skills.  They
enjoy their peers and are able to work together
cooperatively.  Children can
often exceed their individual capacity by working in pairs
or in small
groups.

When they are gathering information on a topic they can
begin to use two
sources, for example, a book and an encyclopedia article.
Toward developing
an understanding of the organization of information, they
can learn that the
Dewey Decimal System has ten main classes and can become
aware of the type
of information in each class.  They are not ready for
extensive discussion
of the subdivisions.  They can also begin to access
information through the
use of subject headings.  They need to learn that they term
they use may not
be the heading used in the card catalog and they need to
think of
alternative terms.  They often experience difficulty and
need assistance and
encouragement.

Reading to children of this age continues to develop their
understanding of
written language.  The beginnings of books may be read to
stir their
interest but occasionally a book should be read in its
entirety to give the
sense of a whole work.  Writing their own fiction and
reactions to the books
they have read enables them to personalize meaning.
from Carol Kuhlthau's
"Meeting the Information Needs
of Children and Young Adults:
Basing Library Media Programs
on Developmental States"
Journal of Youth Services in Libraries
Fall 1988 p.51-57.

The fourth grade curriculum continues to explore the Dewey
Decimal System,
introduce well-known authors, and build on research skills.
Fourth graders
are read to and expected to read independently.

4 – Objectives are taught throughout the year in the
classroom and in the
library.
Library Skills – 4th
? Uses telephone directory for information.
? Recognizes the Dewey Decimal System and knows basic
content of the 10
classes.
? Utilizes atlases.
? Makes use of newspapers to obtain information.
? Masters chapter books.
? Utilizes non-fiction for research.
? Interprets information in the library catalog record.
? Identifies the uses of the sections of a book.
? Recognizes the summary of  passage.
? Distinguishes between biography and autobiography.

Computer Skills – 4th
? Turns on computer.
? Cares for floppy discs and CD-ROMs.
? Manipulates windows.
? Controls and uses the mouse effectively.
? Opens programs via icon and/ or start menu.
? Creates new files.
? Opens existing files from hard drive and floppy disc.
? Saves files.
? Prints.
? Quits programs appropriately.
? Improves speed at proper keyboarding technique to type
simple documents.
? Inserts, deletes, and edits text in word processing
documents.
? Inserts graphics into documents.
? Uses key combinations for commands.
? Uses spell check tool.
? Uses advanced features of word processing programs.
? Properly shuts down computer.
? Can warm boot computer.
? Loads printer paper.
? Navigates to specific web site using URLs.
? Bookmarks a web site.
? Reads and sends e-mail messages with attachments.
? Forwards and replies to e-mail messages.
? Describes examples of proper and improper ethical uses of
computers and
software.
? Can install and remove software programs.

******************************

I'm just finishing up my masters in LS and am still amazed
at the amount of
information available on the internet.  My focus this year
in addition to teaching
library skills will be to evaluate website, look for
authority, find website for
children, accessing periodicals on line, teaching software
programs that are
exiting but not being utilized, and  teaching students how
to do a book talk.
Lots of things besides library skills.

**********************

I'm a new librarian working with pre-k to 6th grade. I used
to be a
classroom teacher. All of the teachers at my school want
library classes on
a fixed schedule.  However, we are providing a fixed
schedule for pre-K to
3rd grade.  Fourth - sixth have a flexible schedule as well
as fixed times
for checking out books.  It's a bit complicated, but we see
it as a
compromise and the best way to use our stretrched resources.

For pre-K to 3rd, I'm using a combination of activities to
support the
curriculum (so I've asked teachers for long-range plans) and

library
skills. Of course, part of the time is always spent on book
selection too!
The best resources I've found for the library skills
component are:

Elementary School Librarian's Survival Guide by Barbara
Bannister & Janice
Carlile (1993)
&
Complete Library Skills Activities Program by Arden Druce
(1990)