Maybe someone else has faced this dilemma...we have an opening in my
library for a part time position .  Someone who
already works at my school is looking to apply for it.  This person has
worked in every school dept. and no one wants to continue the
relationship.  The person gets shifted around from one dept. to another
and has never been employed full time.  She has the appropriate
training
...even better than the full time clerks I have and the strong desire,
too.  She's an avid reader but doesn't seem to get along well with
anyone.  I know I will interview her for the position.  I also know
that
I don't want to get into a bind where my clerk will be keeping
people away from the library simply because they don't want "that kind
of help."

One of my interview questions is: "What five adjectives would your
former colleagues use to describe you? "  But that doesn't really fit,
in this situation.  I would like to know what questions I could ask
that
would demonstrate this person's character and method of interacting
with
others that turns people off so I would have adequate reason for not
offering her the position.

Yes, there is one other candidate for the position.  I like her and I
think she has appropriate skills.  But she is NOT as qualified as the
other person.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Roselle