Somehow, here in Arkansas, we're always a bit behind.  None of my kids had
been asking for Harry Potter, and my aide and I were frantically trying to
get copies in, get them catalogued, mylar-covered, and otherwise prepared
for circulation.  I'd bought 2 each of the 3 hardbacks and 6 of the first in
paperback.  Now what??  Noone was asking for them!

So, I got on the intercom yesterday morning during announcements and said,
"NIC has a special guest arriving at the library tomorrow morning.  It's
Harry Potter!  Now, if you aren't aware of who Harry Potter is, you'd better
get your head out of the sand, because he's the biggest thing to hit the
book world in a long time - everybody all over the country is talking about
Harry Potter!  etc. etc. etc."

Last thing of the day, I got back on and said Harry Potter would be ready to
be checked out first thing in the morning before school to those who got
there first.

This morning, I had a line waiting outside the library.   A little while
ago, I was walking down the hall and a class was going somewhere, and a kid
called out, "Ms Suby, Ms Suby, I've started Harry Potter and it's great!!
We' ve had so much work to do, I've only gotten to read 2 pages so far, but
I love it already!!"  Other kids in the class were saying, "Will you get
some more copies so we can read it too!?"   Another kid stuck his head in
not long ago and said, "Ms. Suby, I sure like that Harry Potter book so
far!"

Well, I guess I'm just having a Harry Potter kind of day.  Like I said,
"It's all in how you hype it."  Thank you J.K. Rowling!

Speaking of hype, my second most-requested book is "The Baby Name Survey
Book."  Before you suggest I start worrying about teaching sex-ed in the
library, let me tell you that I have 10 copies and they are never in.  I
have constant requests for more.  The most fun thing is to look up your name
and find out what it means.

Listen to this
    Susan (my real name).  Hebrew.  "A lily".  Image:  Susan is described as
an average woman who is wholesome, pleasant, and down-to-earth.  Some
people, though, think Susan is whiny and fussy.  (Not sure I like that last
part.)

    Let's do Peter:  Greek "rock".  Image:  Most people describe Peter as
unpretentious, honest, and open.  Some, though, think Peter is ambitious and
compulsive.

See why the kids like it?  I promise, I have just as many boys who want this
book as girls.  For those of you who have boys who don't much like to read,
pull this book out when you have a class and read a couple of boys names and
what they mean, and the book will never be on the shelf again.  Baby Name
Survey Book by Bruce Lansky and Barry Sinrod.  0-671-02385-3

It's all in how you hype it!!

Hope you have a Harry Potter sort of day!!

Suby Wallace
Nettleton Intermediate Center (grades 5-6)
3801 Vera
Jonesboro, AR  72401

870-910-7809     870-910-7811 (fax)
swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us

see our website at http://nic.crsc.k12.ar.us
See our ThinkQuest, Jr.. winning site on the  Dewey Decimal System at:
     http://tqjunior.advanced.org/5002/