Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:24:52 -0400
From: MH <franglais@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject: HIT: Internet Usage (Long)

Thanks to all who replied to my post concerning Internet Usage.  Someone
asked me to post a hit, and I'm more than happy to share all the many good
ideas I received! I hope others will find these useful as well.
-------------------------------------

At my school we have a permission list posted on the network, but I don't
think teachers use it much - either take the student's word or don't let
students use the Internet in the classroom anyway.We update the list as
permission slips dribble in.

While I don't know the technology involved and can't be helpful there,
in our school the tech teacher has assigned each student what I think of
as an electronic portfolio to which everything they save is assigned.
When the students log on they are given aaccess to only those
applications to which they are entitled.  The library uses At Ease to
prevent unauthorized access to the hard drive and to prevent  disks from
outside being used.  Students without a signed Acceptable Use Policy
will not have internet access on their account.  The practice of using
someone else's account is possible, but so far I have had only one
incident of that once new passwords were assigned.
My former school (K-12) compiled a list of students with Internet
access, and each teacher was given a copy.  I kept the lists by the
computers and checked before they were allowed to logon.  After a while, you
get to know the students that have permission.  Another alternative is to
have students log on with an I.D. that the server will accept or reject
depending upon whether or not they have permission.
--------------------------------------
We put a special sticker on their library cards, and we also
keep the information in their Patron records in the computer.
We added a field called "Internet" to the database definition
with the help of tech support; it really wasn't too hard.  So
we can call up a kid's record and see if they are "Int: Y" or
"Int: n" the default). When the kids use the internet they
must place their cards on the top front of the monitor, with
the sticker showing.  That way, any teacher can just walk
by and quickly see if the student has permission.  The
stickers we use are the "Computer" spine labels from
Gaylord; we didn't want to use stickers one could get in a
regular business supplies store for fear some of the kids
could get hold of them and fake them.  It works pretty
well.
---------------------------------------
The AUPs are housed in the library, but we'd prefer them to be filed in the
students' file in guidance.  Regardless, we have a database on our network
that teachers can access from any computer in the building where they can
look
up their students and see their status.  This has come in very handy,
because
students do not need a *new* form on file every year.  Thus, we have an
ongoing record of everyone who has and has not returned their form.

We then developed a "Technology Drivers License Program" that we are
piloting
this year.  In students homework assignment books, there is a Technology
Drivers License, and in order to get their license, they have to go through
Driver's Ed.  That means they must:
- have AUP signed on file
- have completed activities & passed a quiz about the AUP
- have completed activities & passed a quiz about Internet Safety
- have logged in to their network folders and set their password

We posted activities, PowerPoint presentations, etc. on the network to help
teachers accomplish this, and we scheduled each teacher time in the labs to
set up the network log ins with the kids.

Now, anytime a kid is using computers, they must have their license
displayed.
 Their HW books also act as their pass, so they should have them with them
at
all times.
--------------------------------------
I am in an elementary school with 700 students. We also have a district
wide AUP that the parents have to sign.  We file these in the library.

We use the rolodex cards we have for check out to be a quick check on
whether the students have permission or not.  As we file the AUP paper we
put a hole punch on the student's rolodex card.

We have hot pink Internet Permission slips that must be lying by the
keyboard whenever and wherever the student is using the internet.  The
slips are very distinctive, but also inexpensive--they're just paper.  If a
student loses his slip we cheerfully check the rolodex and give him a new
one. The slips have the student's name on them, as well as the initials of
the librarian who issued the slip.

So far this has worked well for us.  The students make a special effort not
to lose their passes, because it is a pain in the neck to go to the
librarian to get a new one (and they may lose their space at the computer
while doing it.)  But we realize that all kids can't keep track of things,
hence our policy for replacing them.

We strictly enforce the rule of having a pink pass in plain sight whenever
the students are using the internet.
Our tech person locks everyone out of the system until a signed AUP is
received; when they are enabled they enter their own User ID and a password
they select.
---Our students in grades 5-12 (K-12 building) have parent-signed AUP's.
These have been copied (in-house) onto bright purple 8 x 11 sheets and
laminated. The student carries his/her AUP and the sheet must be
produced & displayed at all times the student is at the computer. In
this way I can have 11th grade students at my terminal here in the Elem
Lib, and after checking the AUP, be assured he is legitimately
accessing the internet. No sheet-no internet. Simple rule, easy to
enforce.
---------------------------------
Our network is set up so that each student has to sign on
his account to use a computer.  FOrms are returned to our
computer room aide.  If the form is not returned, the kid's
account is not turned on.
     Also, what programs a student can use is determined
by who he is.  In other words, it could be set up so
that all kids could log on and use a word processor, for
example, but if Johnny didn't return his AUP, he wouldn't
get a netscape icon.  If Susie returned her form, when she
logs on her screen gets the word processor AND an Internet
folder that contains Netscape and Explorer.
     Before we had this fancy system, I monitored it differently.
The aide did her things with the AUP's and then gave me a list
of kids who were legal.  I have Dynix as my library automation
program.  I laminated and barcoded 10 computer passes, one for
each machine.  I also have patron classes of Grade09, Grade09C,
Grade 10, Grade 10C, Grade11, Grade11C, Grade12, Grade12C.
I can give patron classes different "weights" as far as
borrowing privileges.  To begin with, all kids are in the
"nonC" grades.  As AUP's are handed in, I shift them to the
GradeC patron type, which has a higher borrowing weight.
I made the passes have a higher weight equivalent to the
C patron type.  In other words, if a Grade09 tries to
check out the pass, it says he can't have it ("patron
priority restriction too low").  If a Grade09C tries to
take it out, it will go.  This is the same as when the
computer will let a faculty check out a reference book, but
won't let a student check it out because he doesn't
carry enough weight.  ANYWAY, if the checkout is successful,
the kid takes the pass and puts it on the "dashboard" of the
computer so we can see he's got permission to be on the
computer.  When he's done, he drops the pass off at the desk
and we check it back in so it's available for the next
student.  THis has the added benefit of allowing me to
keep track of computer use stats, just like book usage stats.
It sounds really complicated, but it's not.  And it's a
bit of a pain to set up and shift kids from one patron
type to another as the AUPs dribble in, but once it's done,
it runs itself.  And kids don't argue when the computer
says they can't sign out the pass!
I am in a middle school with 450 students, fewer than you, but here is how
we've dealt with this issue.

Our office runs on SDS, a student management system.  There apparently there
is a place in the form for various stuff, and the school secretary made one
of those places for signed internet use forms.  She can sort student data to
print lists on yes or no, with or without permission.  We typically only
have 6-10 students per year without permission, so she prints a "no" list
and gives a copy to all staff in the building, updated as more permission
forms get returned!

In the library, students come with a pass from their teacher during class
times, so I can see their name immediately and know if they have permission
to use internet or not.  Because the "no" list is so small, I quickly learn
who these students are to keep them off internet.  I also find that middle
school folks don't tend to lie about their name, or they squirm and can't
look you in the eye if they do lie, so it's pretty easy to figure out who
they are and determine what's up!
Because of the way our network is designed when students return their AUP
they then are given "rights" to the internet.  If they don't have their
sheet in they don't have a Netscaoe icon when they log-in.  Our students
don't have IDs either.  Since our policy covers all use of technology, not
only the internet, after giving the students a "grace period" to turn in
their forms we physically went in and changed their passwords from our
administrative computer.  You would be amazed at how fast they came in!
We require that every student sign/parent sign a tech usage agreement.
Any student who does not return the form losses tech privileges after 3
weeks.  As soon as the agreement is returned after the cut off date, we
reassign him computer rights.  Without these rights, he/she can't access
the network. (This keeps the student from accessing email, internet, etc.-
but still can use software stored on the local machines...word processing,
etc.)
I am a new librarian in a 4-5th grade campus.  We have 397 children.  The
students receive a barcode number on one side of their "library card" and
the other side is their internet access card.  The teacher collects the
permission slips and then I file them in a large notebook housed in the
library under the homeroom teachers name.  The teacher punches a hole in the
internet access card when the child has returned the permission slip.  I
know then when they come into the library to use the internet that they can
or cannot by them showing me their card prior to them accessing the
internet.  Hope this helps!
 ---------------------------------------
At our school, the students have their own private login via Windows NT.
There are two types of students: "Internet Student" and "Student". The
Internet Student has the INterent capbility in his login and the Student
does not.

Of course, there are ways to get around this like clicking hyperlinks in
their email but since we practically FORCE every student to sign one, this
isn't much of a problem.

The sysop's office keeps the original signed AUP's in case there's a
problem.
---------------------------------------
Our main office keeps the internet users list.  Each teacher get a
list of students who do not return their form.  We have about 850
students  and our list of non-users is less than 100.  The kids
generally don't want to be left out when the class is doing a project
where they can use the internet.
--------------------------------------
I am starting this process this year at our elementary school.  We made
nametags (laminated with a piece of yarn so it can be worn around the neck)
for every student; Their check-out number is written added (with permanent
marker) when parents have signed their permission slip for checking out
books to take home.  When the internet permission forms are returned, we are
putting a small round sticker resembling a globe on their nametag to
indicate they have permission to use the web. The nametags are kept in
gallon size ziplock baggies in the teacher's room; when a student comes to
the media center to check out a book or use the computers for internet
access, they must be wearing their nametag.  So far, this is working very
well.
-------------------------------------
My son's middle school uses an agenda planner notebook.  They have to take
it everywhere they go.  In it is the internet parent approval, hall passes,
assignments, school rules, EVERYTHING!  It seems to work for them.
-------------------------------------
In our school, the tech coordinator handles the paperwork and if students
have their AUP on file, they have an Internet Use card that they must set on
the computer when they're using the Internet.  We don't have student ID
cards either--this is a separate card.  If they lose the card, I'm not sure
what happens (I'm new here)--if they can get a new one or are out of luck.
--------------------------------------
In our school we keep the signed AUP's here at the library.  Then we make a
list
on Microsoft Word of all the students, alphabetically by last name, who have
their AUP signed. (Save it and just add to it each time.)   Then we take a
"punch" (scrapbook punch--don't ask me why students haven't figured out what
we
use) and punch their I.D. cards with a star shape and when they go to ANY
computer they are supposed to put their I.D. card up on a little clip we
have on
each computer so that teachers can tell with a glance if the student should
be
on the computer or not.

Sometimes it does not work if computer lab people, etc. do not make sure the
student has their I.D. but here at the library we are pretty consistant.

If you don't have I.D.'s you could still collect the AUP's at the library
and
make the master list.  You could update it periodically even if it is
everyday
for a while.  You could give the students a card that they have to carry and
show if they want to use the Internet, or pass out tickets, etc.  But it is
good idea to have the master list in the library, because you know that you
will
be current, accurate, etc.  What people do behind your back is another
story...:  )
---------------------------------
At our school I am on the technology committee, and as part of my
responsibility I keep track of the AUP's.  Every student who has an
AUP gets an asterix by their name in my library database (Follett).
That way I also know if they can use the WWW on my library computers.

I then distribute a list to all of the teachers of which students have
not return their AUP's.  These are dated so that they know which list
is most current.

Finally, I file all of the AUP's alphbetically by grade so that they
are easy to search.

After the first year it really isn't that difficult to maintain my
library database and update the list.
-------------------------------------
I generate an alphabetical list of those students with AUPs on file
with us.  I give it to them before they come with their classes.  I have
told them to flag the students their grade books before coming
to the
library.  Individual students on free flow are asked to produce their
student ID.   When we swipe it, there is a pop-up for my para.  We are on
a AS400 manangement system here in Rockford, and we use an LMS program from
Gateway out of Montana.
Here at our school, middle classes and high school, about 8oo
kids, we have all the acceptable use policies turned into the tech
person who made up a data base and then it is updated and given
to anyone who has a computer with internet on it.  In our Media
Center, or other rooms, the students had  to ask permission from
the adult to use the internet . The adult checks the list and If the
student is not on the list, he/she may not use the internet.(Or
online programs)

This was the procedure up until  this fall.  Now, we have it set up
on our network that if you have your policy turned in and it is OK to
use online information, the tech person gives the student  the rights
to use internet and online programs. So, when the students log on,
these things are available to them.  If you do not have the policy
turned in or OK'd, you do not have the rights and do not have
netscape etc as an option on your screen.
Well, my first thought was using student IDs like we did at the high
school where I did a Practicum last summer, but if you don't have IDs,
another possibility would be to have a master alphabetized list of
everyone who has an Internet Acceptable Use form signed and on file.
Give a copy of this list to each of your teachers.  If your name is not
on the list, you do not get on the Internet at school.  You would have
to update the list periodically (weekly, monthly, ?) -- play with it and
see what works best.  Also, some schools keep the signed forms in the
Media Center while others keep them in the main office.  On one hand,
this is a school-wide program as you described it so it would make sense
to keep them in the main office.  On the other hand, if a student is
telling you he DOES have a signed form on file, it is easier for you if
they are in your possession.  I've seen it both ways.  You know your own
situation better than I do.
------------------------------------
I'm in a middle the same size as yours.  LifeTouch does picture IDs
for our kids and when they come in I will put a red dot on the back of
those who have AUPs.  If the kid loses his ID he can't use the internet.
The ID has to be in the holder on the computer while he is on it so I can
see the dot.  Same goes for classrooms.  It is amazing how much better at
keeping track of things they are when it directly affects something they
really want to do.  They hardly ever lose the money they bring for the
deli and it looks just like everyone else's money!  At lease the ID has
their picture on it.
-----------------------------------
We are a K-8 with 400 students.  We keep track of the forms in the library.
My assistant created a database of students listed by grade and by name.
The forms themselves are kept in the students' permanent folders, so we only
have to do one per child.  We keep a list handy to check if there is a
question about permission.
I keep the AUP's in the library.  When we get all of our classrooms
connected, I will send a list to each middle school teacher letting them
know who has written permission.
At my school, the principal has determined that I keep
up with the forms - the homeroom teachers turn them
into me and we then put into a Clarisworks database
that I can print out by last name alphabetically,
team, homeroom, grade level, etc. for the teachers - I
also put an alphabetical list in the lab and update it
about once a month - In the media center, we put a
small sticker on their roladex barcode card to show
they have permission to use the media center internet
computers.
---------------------------------------
Our students (330) access the internet through the library network. It is
Windows 98/Novell 4.x. There is an application launcher that comes up with
programs for the students after they log on with their ID# and password.
All students have access to the general programs. As students turn in their
AUPs, I add them to a group called AUP students. Then the internet icon
appears on their menu. If there is no icon, then everyone knows that
student has not turned in their AUP. Our techie guy had to set this up in
the first place--makeing groups for teacher, students, aup students, etc;
but I can add people to groups or delete them easily as network
administrator. When a student doesn't follow the AUP, I can easily take the
internet from his menu. (And I have a couple times.)
It works really nice & I don't have to keep track of who hasn't turned in
their AUP.

Mike Hartley, LMS
Louisville Middle School
Louisville, Georgia
franglais@mindspring.com

"If ever you need a helping hand, remember that there's one at the end of
your arm.  And as you grow older, remember that you have two hands, one for
helping yourself and one for helping others."  Sam Levinson