******  Elementary

> 2.  What is the one thing you would like your principal to know that he or she
> doesn't seem to know now about the library media center and program?
******  That in order for collaboration and change to occur, she needs
to be in the lead.  It's very difficult for a Library Media Teacher to
"educate" staff unless the principal provides leadership.  Change comes
from the top down in education.

> 3.  What is the one thing you would like your principal to know about YOUR
> skills and abilities that he or she doesn't appear      to know right now?
******  I'm lucky.  My Principal understands and appreciates my skills,
and how many extra hours my job requires (I'm 1/2 time trying to operate
the quality program of a full-time LMT. I send her e-mail constantly -
making sure she knows what my talents are AND I am fortunate enough to
have a Library Media Center that is well-located - near the office/staff
room - so I "grab" my principal when I'm in the middle of a great
lesson, etc.

DO TRY TO OBTAIN A COPY OF THE FOLLOWING BOOK - Every Principal should
have one.  Dr. Loertscher is a leader in the field of school libraries,
is a professor at San Jose State University in CA and put together this
book specifically for principals - it's straight forward and provides
step by step procedure for evaluating library programs.
REINVENT YOUR SCHOOL'S LIBRARY IN THE AGE OF TECHNOLOGY - A Guide for
Principals and Superintendents.  Loertscher, David V., 1998. Hi Willow
Research and Publishing:  P.O. Box f720400; San Jose, CA   95172-0400
Phone:  800-873-3043.  e-mail:  DavidL@csn.net   ISBN 0-931510-70-7.

Thank you for including the importance of school libraries in your
classes.  I assume you are familiar with Lance's Colorado Study that
links professional librarians with higher test scores.