FYI--we already have a list of FAQ's it's on the LM_NET web page.  Someone
did recently suggest adding AR/Reading Counts evaluation to that existing
page to save us endless repeat requests.  Great idea.  I agree with many of
your points--people should check the archives and the FAQ's before posting.
I'd also like them to do some initial work themselves on their question...
perhaps in a more perfect world.  It's one thing to ask a quick specific
question that can be easily answered, it's another when someone gives a
broad topic, gives no background about what searching they've already done,
and expects their busy colleagues to start from scratch for them.

Here's an example of a good request:  recently someone asked for fantasy
fiction for a 5th grade high level reader.  He told us in his request what
he had already recommended to her.  Then he posted a hit afterward.

Here's one that drives me mad:  too many times, someone asks for a book
title to recommend to a teacher who wants a novel at that grade level,
admitting that they don't read YA or children's literature.  I think that it
is abdicating one's responsibility to not read books that are written for
the audience with which you work.  How can you possibly give good reader's
advisory service to your students or staff (unless you rely on LM_NET for
every request you get.)  The newest SLJ has a "novel" idea:  a librarian
came to the conclusion that she ought to read some of her collection!  With
all due respect to the author, is this news?  Isn't that part of our
responsibility?  I do have empathy for the librarians who have just started
their careers or who have just changed grade levels.  I understand why they
might need more help with getting a handle on the literature at their level,
but I have no patience in helping someone who admits they don't read much of
what's in their own collection.

I like helping my colleagues on LM_NET and I appreciate the assistance I
have gotten from this group.  I'd like to see further evidence that as
librarians we are willing to take the first steps to find our own
answers--are we not, after all, supposed to be the experts at finding
information?

Cindy Dobrez, Librarian
Harbor Lights School
West Ottawa Public Schools