Greetings,

My Compac Presario (a 21/2-year-old Pentium I class/Windows 95) is
misbehaving (it may be a case of the terrible 2's).

Anyway, for the fun of it tonight, I opened the "Find Files & Folders" thing
and began
entering one-digit numbers into the search box to see just what kind of
"stuff" I'd find.
Lo & behold, I "found" about 40 odd word documents that, when opened, were
anywhere between 14 and 50 pages of gobbledy-gook (squares, Y's, O's, etc.).

On most was one word which identified them as being files from a disk my
husband brought home from work about 18 months ago.  The disk had been
infected with viruses called Groove & Melissa.  My Norton program detected
the viruses and supposedly cleaned them at that time and life was good.
Still, though, how did these documents get saved to my computer?

Also, after deleting the files I attempted to run a thorough scan-disk.
However, I received a message that said,"ScanDisk has restarted 10 times
because Windows or some other program is writing to this drive. Close down
some programs..(I can't remember the rest).  I opened the Task Manager, and
saw a list of things but, not knowing what those things are, I have no idea
what to end task on to stop this.
And just what the heck is it writing to my C Drive anyway?

This machine does seem lately as though it is on hyperdrive. The tower is
always "grumbling," and everything (games, word processing, opening programs)
is sluggish.  Also, it used to "go to sleep" if nobody touched it for 30
minutes.  Now it just stays awake unless I put it to sleep or shut it down
and turn it off.  If I do not turn it off, it just cycles through and
reawakens within 5 minutes.

Should I:
A) Call the doctor and get it a prescription for Ritalin,
B) Knock it out with my baseball bat,
C) Adopt an attitude of Unconditional Acceptance, and just love my computer
for
    what & who he is,
D) Have it evaluated for some obsessive/compulsive or Manic/Depressive
Disorder
E) Start saving my pennies for a new computer

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Dawn Sardes
Teen Services Librarian
Cumberland County Public Library
Fayetteville, NC 28311