Here, at last, is the HIT of the replies I got to me questions about
the value of LM_NET.

Hope it isn't too long, but I thought many would be interested in the
detail as well as the overall picture.

EB

1. Why do you use LM_NET?
It is like an on-going workshop that keeps me abreast of the newest
as well as the traditional.  It helps with the feeling of isolation
that any LMS has ( as would anyone who is the only "whatever" in
their school.

2. What difference has it made to you as a LMS?
I have purchased books based on recommendations, started an email
bookclub for its members, gained valuable lesson plans, professional
resources, answers to questions and humor.

3. Do you think it has an impact on student learning?
Absolutely, because I am always developing ( I hope).
----
I use OZTL_NET  (and LM_NET) as a means of discussing issues with colleagues
throughout Australia, as like you, although we are teacher-librarians, there
is usually only one of us in a school. (As well as all the library-type
stuff, we have a teaching role but it is very related to information
literacy.)   We seek advice, share information and resources, become
involved in Internet based programs with our students and everything else
that crops up in a librarian's life.  Many of the members are in
geographically isolated spots, and I think that the list provides them with
the regular contact with other professionals that we all need. I know I
could travel to almost any point in Australia and have a bed for the night
because of the friends I have made through our list.

Although I am an experienced teacher, I am very new to this library business
(completed my M.Ed less than a year ago) and I believe this list has made a
huge difference to my understanding of issues, my professional development
and also to what I have been able to provide to my colleagues in terms of
resources, strategies and points of view.  I often 'float' issues that are
being discussed on LM_NET on OZTL_NET and there are some really lively and
enlightening discussions.

My membership of the list has had a big impact on the kids'  learning
because I have been able to establish partnerships between my school and
others for projects using their IT skills. One of these was last year's
Teddy Bear Rap that really helped our littlies learn about the geography of
Australia and I have a number of similar programs happening this year.I've
also learned heaps about online learning activities, books and strategies to
share all of which add richness to my teaching program.  And if they ever
have a question, they ask me to ask all my mates on the list first!  As
well, the staff , in turn, share the resources etc with the kids.

So it's a win/win situation for everyone!
----
  1. Why do you use LM_NET?

----
>  1. Why do you use LM_NET?  I started using LM_NET the first year of
>  operation.  It was a way for me to contact other computer literate
>  people, which at that time few teachers could even use computers let
>  alone the internet
>
>  2. What difference has it made to you as a LMS?  I am a fair better
>  librarian for the ideas and help I have recieved over time.
>
>  3. Do you think it has an impact on student learning?Yes, My lessons,
>  book selection ,and now weeding are influenced by what I see discussed
>  and what I have discussed with others on LM_NET.  For the first time in
>  my carreer, I am teaching k-3 students.  The FIRST thing I did was
>  search the archives for lessons.  Due to LM_NET I have a background
>  that would have taken me YEARS to develop on my own.  It is a great
>  source for the best ideas and books to present to students.
----
1) I am delighted to have LM Net, because I felt isolated for years.  I had
no one to ask for advice about any problems that I had in the library.  I
found searching for answers in professional materials was very hit or miss.
Now I see that we share many of the same problems, and many have solved
these problems in a number of ways.

2)  It has provided me with the answers to many of my problems.  I enjoy
contributing to solving the questions of others.  It keeps me very
up-to-date on what is happening in my profession.  As a newcomer to
computers, the information offered is invaluable.  It is also offered in
small bits, so I am not overwhelmed and retain more.  It has made me look so
good to staff and administration because  I know or can find the answers to
so much!  If I feel too frustrated, I can either read about someone who has
worse problems than I do, or think, "Maybe I'll apply for THAT position!"

3) Computers are new at our school.  Last week, a teacher said that the 6th
grade will be researching ancient history, especially Egypt.  I went to the
archives, typed in my subjects, and, in minutes,  got URL's for tons of
sites.  I'll bookmark selected sites in a folder for the students to use.
It saves me hours of searching, saves the students much frustration and
time, and impresses the staff who hopefully will come back for more.  It is
such a thrill, after years of saying, "I'm sorry, I don't have that
information," to say, "I know where to find that!"  LM Net helps me to do
that.  Anything that helps me to be a better-informed librarian helps my
students and staff.
----
  1. Why do you use LM_NET?
>  School libarianship is a lonely and isolated job.  The information ,
tools, and needs change very quickly.  There is an overwhelming mount of
work to be done.  It is just so GOOD to be able to communicated with
others in a similar position with similar needs.  The support and
networking with friends and fellow professionals is invaluable.

>  2. What difference has it made to
you as a LMS? >
Knowing what is going on in libraries in other places, and having a
support group of wonderfully generous professionals gives me confidence
and security to tackle the job and do the best that I can do.

>  3. Do you think it has an impact on student learning?
I have managed to keep up with what is new; have received many new lesson
plans; suggestions for other ways to approach a learning challenge; and an
absolute wealth of information about using the internet and technology to
improve learning.
----
I use LM because I am in a similar situation:  I am the only
librarian in the school.  I work in a rural K-12 district which is on
one campus, and I am the only librarian.  LM lets me connect with
other librarians. The difference it has made for me has been
tremendous.  I try new things, find out I've been doing it right, and
am able to participate in discussions that are meaningful to me.  No
one at my school cares as much about libraries as I do, so LM has
become my community.  I will admit I am more of a lurker, but I still
gain from being a member.  As far as student learning is concerned, I
think my students have benefited from my participation.  I've gotten
some new ideas, and since I hate doing the same thing too many times,
I'm willing to try these new ideas out.  For me, LM has been a real
lifeline.
----
I use LM_NET because it helps keep me informed about what is going on
with librarians, throughout my state, country and yes, even the world.  I
find out about things they have tried that worked, things that didn't
work, great new ideas, products, books, websites, etc.  I keep in touch
with what is going on.  We are still isolated, somewhat, apart from the
regular faculty and this allows me to be in contact with people who face
the same problems that I experience.

LM_NET makes a difference for the same reasons I discussed above.  Also,
I will tell you that some of the more experienced librarians in my
district tend to drift along with the status quo.  They are not as
accepting of technology and don't really want to know what is going on in
technology in regard to libraries.  It's like "We will get whatever new
information we need to know whenever it drifts down to us from 'the
powers that be' when they feel we need to know it".  I want to know what
is going on in libraries and technology NOW, not whenever someone else
feels I need to know it.  I don't know if I can really make myself clear
on that point...I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I do think LM_NET has had an impact on student learning because it makes
me a better, more informed librarian.  I cannot tell you the number of
books, websites, etc. I have seen discussed on LM_NET that I have gone on
and looked at myself and then passed on to my students.  I have used
websites professionally, in collection development, cataloging and
weeding to better our collection or our access to it.  The little tips
you gain through reading some of these messages are invaluable.  Also
invaluable, I hope, are the tips and comments you are able to make to
someone else seeking information.
----
I use LM_NET for several reasons.  It helps me learn about new books,
web sites, magazines, etc. that I have not used.  It also helps me
develop new activities for my library from the ones I see on our list.
It also is the most helpful group of people I have ever worked with!!!

It has made a huge difference to me.  I feel as though it has made me a
better LMS!

It has impacted student learning because I have implemented so many
things I have found there!
----
1. Why do you use LM_NET?
I came to the Library because of my Tech skills.  I knew nothing about
running a library.  I signed on to LM_NET because I heard that if I have
problems I can get help there. Also, I've gotten idea from other people and
learned from their writing.

2. What difference has it made to you as a LMS?
I've learned things that I wasn't aware of.  I was totally math, science and
computers. My Master's and specialty lies in this area not libraries.

3. Do you think it has an impact on student learning?
So far it hasn't had an impact on student learning.  I haven't started using
it in that way.  I've only used it for my own resources.
----
< 1. Why do you use LM_NET?
    I use LM Net because it keeps me up to date on the latest issues that
specifically relate to being a school librarian.  I can get a question
answered in a matter of hours from locations I would never have thought
possible like Australia and Hawaii.  It is also nice to know that school
librarians have the same problems nationwide, internationally as well.  It
gives me a heads up on book challenges, latest crazes like Harry Potter and
just day to day operations.  I have an assistant so I am not as isolated as
some of my colleagues are and get to leave the media center and talk to other
teachers.  However the problems I have are unique to my position and I have a
hard time persuading others to see my side of things.  So it is great to have
this forum to vent, collect information, or to just see what other librarians
are talking about.

  2. What difference has it made to you as a LMS?
It helps me do my job better because I can receive help rather quickly in the
privacy of my own home in front of my computer.  It also gives me great peace
to know that I am not alone.  A few months ago, I poured out my professional
troubles and I received numerous responses with people having had the same
situation, giving advice, a shoulder to cry on, and just best wishes.

  3. Do you think it has an impact on student learning? >>
I have implemented several ideas that I have learned from reading lm net
messages.  I have a few more that I plan to implement in the future if I am
still there by the end of the year.  It has definitely had an impact on MY
learning.  In my situation I work in an inner-city school where reading
levels are below normal and its just a challenge to get the kids to come to
school and behave.  But in general I believe it has an impact on student
learning.
----
>1. Why do you use LM_NET? To get ideas from other school librarians on what
>activities to do when the students come into the library. I also love to
>read the book reviews.  I also learn about the problems and pluses of being
>a grade school librarian.  We have many of the same ideas and problems and
>what I am wondering about or need help with somene also does so many
>answers to my questions are on LM-NET.
>
>2. What difference has it made to you as a LMS?  It has given me many good
>ideas on how to help the students learn when they come into the library.
>It gives me ideas for new books.  It helps me find good books on certain
>subject areas.  It gives me fun, interesting ideas to use on holidays and
>special reading weeks.  If I have a question I know I will get a quick
>reliable response.
>
>3. Do you think it has an impact on student learning?  Yes, because I have
>any ideas to use with them, not just my own.
----
LM-NET helps me in so many ways.  It lets me know what others in the
field are doing.  It keeps me up-to-date on electronic, av, and print
resources.  It helps me with technical problems.  People have sent me
materials in enclosures.  It has made a difference in improving my
skills, my teaching, my collection, the physical environment of my media
center, the ideas I use with students.  It has made me more connected
with others.  It has definitely improved learning for my students and
staff.
----
Actually, Elizabeth, I think that isolation and rampant marginalization is a
very, very common problem in the states as well.  Even though in my
district, as in many in the state of Pennsylvania, there is one trained
librarian (or whatever we call ourselves), we still:
1) work by ourselves instead of being part of a "team", be it a grade level
or subject team.
2) unless we are very skilled at promoting ourselves, or work in a
progressive environment, much of our work is "invisible" and not valued.

LM_NET is very valuable to me because:
1) I realize that we all have lots of problems in common.
2) Sometimes our problems are not as bad as they could be. <gr!>
3) There frequently are people "out there" who are very, very helpful.

It has made me better at my job, hence of more help to my students and
faculty.
----
>1. Why do you use LM_NET? Because it keeps me connected to a huge
community of people with like degrees. responsibilities, and interests.

>2. What difference has it made to you as a LMS?> I can now get the
answers to questions that come up in a speedy manner and sometimes I get
ideas from LM_NET that I can use on the job.

--
Elizabeth Bentley
Head of Learning Resources

email: sln-owner@egroups.com