--------------404C1526E735E5806A3A4E9F

Thank you to all who contributed to this HIT.  I'm on my way to
developing a dynamite list and will post it when it is completed.  In
the meantime, here are your suggestions:

Junie Jones books, Bailey School Kids books, and Amber Brown books, just
to name a few favorites!

MICK HARTE WAS HERE, by Park,

Any of the SIDEWAYS stories by Louis Sachar, Captain Underpants (there
are 3 in the series) by Dave Pilkey.  Chocolate Touch (author escapes
me), anything by Roald Dahl, esp. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the
Ramonoa books by Beverly Cleary and of course Harry Potter, though AR
says it's 5.0+ book.

Linda, I just finished reading the 2001 Nutmeg Award Nominees and think
they would be appropriate for your group.
http://www.geocities.com/nutmeg_award/nominees2001.htm

The Ghost of Fossil Glen by Cynthia DeFelice
Deep Doo Doo by Michael Delaney
My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt
A Shooting Star: A Novel About Annie Oakley by Sheila Solomon Klass
No More Nice by Amy MacDonald
Riding Freedom by Pam Munoz Ryan
Gib Rides Home by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief by Wendelin Van Draanen
101 Ways to Bug Your Parents by Lee Wardlaw
Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White

The Mr. Tucket, Call Me Mr. Tucket, and Tucket Rides by Gary Paulsen are
three "no fail" books that would fit the bill. Also Windcatcher by Avi
is great, too.

Frindle by Andrew Clements

How about A Taste of Blackberries by Doris Smith?(death of a friend)
The Flunking of Joshua Bates, and its sequel?(Being a poor reader)
Mississippi Bridge by Mildred Taylor? Or her The Well?
(African-Americans and
racism)  Cleary's Dear Mr. Henshaw (Newbery winner) (letters to an
author)?
And its sequel (?), Strider? (same character, as a teenager, plus dog)
The
Time Warp Trio by Jon Scieszka?

Linda--I realize you are looking for specific titles, however our Public
Library System cooperates with our local school district Prince William
County Public Schools ( VA) to support their school summer reading
assignments.  Our ten libraries help provide over 50,000 students with
public library books during the summer.  The choices of the teachers can
be found on the School District's website at http://www.pwcs.edu  click
on Instructional programs and then on Summer Reading programs.  You may
want to look through the elementary schools looking for their 4th grade
choices.  Remember to involve your public libraries with your plans,
because they will be open this summer, while your schools may be
closed.  As a public
librarian I have encouraged the school district to use subjects, or
themes, or genre rather than specific tittles which gather long waiting
lists during the summer whenever more than 3,000 students are looking
for the same titles.  I also encourage teachers to make sure the book is
IN PRINT before suggesting a titles for their list.

Linda Bennett, Library Media Teacher
Kent Middle School
Kentfield, CA 94904    lbennet@marin.k12.ca.us
--------------404C1526E735E5806A3A4E9F

begin:vcard
n:Bennett;Linda
tel;fax:415-458-5973
tel;work:415-458-5976
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:ksd.marin.k12.ca.us/kms/library/homepage.htm
org:Kent Middle School
adr:;;250 Stadium Way;Kentfield;CA;94904;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:lbennet@marin.k12.ca.us
title:Librarian
fn:Linda Bennett