Below are the responses that I received to my question about weeding the
900's in my K-8 library.  They were very helpful and I am forging
ahead weeding out those dusty old tomes with black and white pictures.
 Now--if anybody has run into anything really terrific (particularly
in the vein of American History, especially wars), would you please
drop me a line?

I heavily weeded the 900 section at the school I was at last year.  I
made my
choices based on age of book, condition, usage.  The history may still
be
correct, but if kids aren't using it find something new.

I work in a high school but here are some general guidelines I use.
Obviously I discard any book that is beat up or that is not attractive
students. When considering whether to keep or discard a book I try to
recall
if it is one connected to a course that is actually being taught. Is
there
any interest in the topic among students outside of class assignments?
If
the answer is no to the two questions I will probably discard it. This
is
particularly true with books on wars, weapons, etc. I have seen a
sudden
drop off of interest in those topics among the students. No need
keeping a
book that will not get used.

I keep anything that is primary source and everything on key events
(Vietnam,
WWI and II, Holocaust specific).  The rest I'll look at copyright
dates and
conditions.

What condition is the book in?  What does the cover
look like?  the maps and illustrations?

Is the dust cover - if it has one - in tatters?

Toss and replace the bad ones.

I feel sure you would be justified in weeding anything more than 10
years
old or in bad shape.  If you are unsure about throwing out the baby
with the
bathwater, check the titles you identify for discard in one of Wilson's
Standard Catalog series or something similar (an opening day
collection,
etc.).

Weeding can always be a challenge.  Here are a few
guidelines I follow.

I keep history books unless, they are torn up. After
checking the condition of the book, check out the last
time it circulated in your library.  If it has not
moved in 3-5 years, you either have better books on
the subject or it doesn't work with my curriculum.
Also, it the book has history errors I would remove
it.  If your school or district does not have a
WEEDING policy, why don't you help develop one.

I heard
somewhere that you should never get rid of local history of state
history
stuff.

I just went through part of my U.S. history section with our high
school ap
teacher.  He said to get rid of anything that doesn't use the term
Native
American or American Indian and anything with Negro unless is is
original
source document.  Also, check the copyright on your country material.
Haven't
started on the world history yet.

As you and I know, weeding in a school library should take into
consideration both curriculum and student interest.  When it comes to
curriculum, however, the curriculum can change.  I had a 5th grade
teacher
who was *required* to teach American history from the Revolution
through
the Civil War, but one year he decided to have the kids do an extra
project
on wars that America has fought including the French & Indian War, the
War
of 1812, the 20th century world wars, and Korea and Vietnam.  I was
glad I
had a book or two on those wars.  Also, some kids love to read about
history and especially about wars and battles, soldiers and guns.
Interest
would dictate that you have WELL DONE books on those subjects.

Old copyrights with black and white photos may not appeal any more. I'm
thinking of such oldies from the 60's and 70's as the books by C. B.
Colby
which were very popular at the time, and would not be valid now, such
as
"Our Space Age Navy" 1962. That definitely goes out.(That book might
be in
the 300's.)   Alternately, his book, "Fighting Gear of World War I",
which
might be in the 600's or 900's, might still be useful even if it is
black
and white. As for MOST American Heritage titles and Time-Life titles,
although they are in color -- in fact they often have interesting
pictures
-- the text is hard to follow, unclear, and doesn't concentrate on
facts
that kids would want to know....they are just about useless for
research.
--
We are beginning to get new history books for elementary and middle
school.