Dear Folks,

I just want to thank you for ALL the responses that are so helpful.  I have
been waking up in the middle of the night, worrying about how to get the
library in shape and teach 9 classes a week in 19 hours, but you have
helped alot.

First of all, I received some good names of automation co.'s that work with
small libraries...one in Washington, DC which I am looking into especially
since I am hoping support will be more easily available.

Also, I have had good advice about weeding and adding to the collection.
Cataloging is not my strong point, as I have had little experience with
direct cataloging, but I have found a great volunteer to help me.  I will
weed and add at the same time, even if itis all manual for awhile.

Tina Hudak, Librarian
St. Bernard's Catholic School
Riverdale, Maryland
tinahudak@worldnet.att.net

Here are some of the responses below re: automation:

 I use librarycom.com for free MARC records and they have recently added a
free catalog service in which you enter your records and use their site to
access them -- I haven't tried it all since I am happy with the automation
system I have, but the price certainly seems right!!! I think its based on
the CASPR system. The web address is <http://www.librarycom.com> Just checked
it, access is limited to one computer at a time with an additional cost for
additional connection. I hope this can work for you.

The following is some information with some pricing about our products.  If
you would like additional information please don't hesitate to contact us.

1.) MicroCAT for Windows 95/98 or NT - this is available in a single user
version and multi user version, the module includes online searching,
circulation and cataloguing.  The product imports and exports bibliographic
records in a MARC format.  The  software can be used to search for title,
author, subject heading, etc. and it uses boolean operators etc.  Web site
with more information - http://www.tkm.mb.ca/librauto.html  -  MicroCAT has
the ability to handle databases of significant size.  If you follow the Web
Site at http://www.tkm.mb.ca/welcome.html choose  MicroCAT and then take
the MicroCAT Tour.

2.) InterCAT and InterCAT Pro for Windows 95/98 - this is a Z39.50 client
which can be used to search for, capture and download bibliographic records
in MARC format via the Internet.  There is more information and a demo
available at http://support.tkm.mb.ca/intercat

InterCAT Pro has the added features of:

a) ability to search multiple databases simultaneously
b) a record can be edited after it is captured
c) InterCAT Pro provides full diacritic support.

These software products use the Internet to obtain bibliographic records in
MARC format.

3.) MicroCAT Web Search is a module which can be added to the multi user
version of MicroCAT for Windows 95/98/NT such that the database can be
accessible by the Internet by means of a browser like Netscape - there is a
demo available on the Internet at http://support.tkm.mb.ca/tkmwww.dll

This module provides Internet access to the MicroCAT database.

4.)  MARCsource is a database of MARC records which we hold at our office
and provides a method for libraries to convert a card catalogue to
bibliographic records in MARC format.  The way the conversion operates is
as follows:

- within MicroCAT there is a screen (CCS process) which can be used to
enter brief information about a book - this is a fill in the blank type of
screen.  An operator uses the CCS process to enter ISBN, title, author etc
from the card or book, the information is stored on a diskette which is
then forwarded to TKM for processing.  As a result of the processing by TKM
there are 3 files produced - the first file contains exact hits of MARC
records and the information can be loaded into MicroCAT, the 2nd file
contains multiple hits which is the result of a book being published in
more than one year etc., the local library prints out the contents of the
multiple hit file and chooses the appropriate record, the 3rd file contains
non hits but as a result of the processing the information which was
originally entered is put into MARC format so the local library can use
this as a brief record, can discard the information, or can add more
information to the record.

- this process has been used by volunteers within schools or public
libraries for the conversion of card cataloques to machine readable records
in MARC format.

InterCAT/InterCAT Pro is designed for cataloguing new additions to the
library's holdings while MARCsource is designed for the initial conversion
process.  InterCAT/InterCAT Pro could be used for the initial conversion
process but it would not be as fast as the MARCsourcce process.

The regular pricing excluding taxes and shipping in US dollars is as follows:

A. InterCAT     $ 150

B. InterCAT Pro $ 275 - the additional features over InterCAT are:

- ability to search multiple databases simultaneously
- full diacritic support
- a full screen editor such that a record can be edited before it is
downloaded.

C. MicroCAT for Windows 95/98 or NT

- single user licence price $  650
- multi user licence price $ 1,750

- single user annual support $ 250
- multi user annual support  $ 450

D. MicroCAT Web Search
- licence price  $ 595
- annual support $ 100

E.  MARCsource - annual subscription $450

If you could provide details on your requirements then we can suggest the
software from the above which would best fit your needs.

Thanks very much for your interest.  If you have any questions please don't
hesitate to contact me - tel  1 - 800 - 565 - 6272  extension 22 ( from
within United States & Canada ) or 204 - 727 - 3873 extension 22, Fax 204 -
727 - 5219  or EMail eastley@access.tkm.mb.ca

Thanks.

Ross Eastley
TKM Software Limited
839 18th Street
Brandon, Manitoba
Canada
R7A 5B8

Tel: 800 - 565 - 6272 or 204 - 727 - 3873
Fax: 204 - 727 - 5219
EMail: eastley@access.tkm.mb.ca

I think that Alexandria actually gives away copies of their software.  Go to
their website:

http://www. companioncorp.com

look at the web page for LibrarySoft.  It is a good bargain for the
price.  I used it in a small library and liked the cataloging module.
(Just fill in the blanks (-:  )  The only complaint I had was the
response time for answering questions. I heard that the response time
improved after I left. (an on campus job while in school.)

Alexandria has been giving away their program fro free to small schools.
Here is the URL
http://www.companioncorp.com/
I just went to their page and they are saying nothing about it but you could
email them and ask.
We use Alexandria and love it and it is user friendly!

I am at a small, private school with a student population of about 220.  I
chose Athena for our circulation system.  We have 2600 volumes in the LRC.
Athena has been a godsend.  It was very easy to implement and to keep
running.  This was our first full year of using it and we have had only two
glitches which tech support helped us get through.  I would say a budget of
$3000 would cover everything-software, barcode reader, computer, printer,
retrospective conversion.  We have a single user license and managed fine
with one computer as checkout and search station.  However, we are growing
and will now be networking with a multi-user license.  Athena has been very
easy for all the children to use.

http://www.goalexandria.com/

This company may still have free software for a single machine license.
The program comes with a few months of support.  After that you would need
to purchase tech support.

If the collection is in such bad shape,
might it not be wiser to spend whatever funds
you've got on new materials,  which will
directly benefit the students, than on an
automation system, which will not immediately
or directly have an impact on what students
can use?

I have a library of over 10,000 volumes, for
about 700 students.  The automation system
in place is so kludgy that I've gone back
to using ye olde pocket and card signout
system, and it gets the job done.

Hi!  When I was in library school, I worked a couple days a week for a
woman who had created a library catalog program for very small collections.
 The website is http://www.onpointinc.com
The program is called TLC and she has it for both Mac and Windows.  It's
very affordable and Sue is very helpful.  Check out the web page.  (I don't
get anything out of this, promise, I just had a really good experience
working with her.  My temp agency sent me there.)
Good Luck!

May we suggest you go to our website:

www.rightonprograms.comn

and download our AFFORDABLE, easy to use, CIRCULATION DESK software.

We think it will do what you need it to do, at an affordable price.

I use Athena here. My collection is about 3500 books, and it is quite
user-friendly. Don't know what the cost would be, but you could ask. The
website is:
www.sagebrushcorp.com.

Hope this helps.

Check out Library Journal's April 1st issues for the last two years (they
review automation system every year in April).  This will give you a list of
companies in the automation field and who's hot and who's not.  From here
contact 3-5 of the vendors and ask for price information and a local list of
schools in your area that use the system.  Interview the librarians who use
these systems to get a better understanding how these systems work in real
life.  Any company that can not give you a school site to visit - cross them
off your list.  I think you will find the prices of these systems to be about
the same, because they compete against one another.  What you need to find is
a system that fits your library needs.  Good Luck.

**************************************************************Check
www.lrms.com - I use the Genesis program - it was the most
inexpensive one we found and although the lower price one is DOS based -
it runs on a windows format.  I have had very good luck with it - it has
training to go with it, but my district didn't even want to pay that, so
I taught myself and have done very well.  They have good tech support
and are very willing to answer the problems I couldn't solve myself.  I
also added the books with Fastcat (CD rom) and by myself using the easy
brief MARC format.  Our library has 4,000 books and I did it in about 2
months between classes (maybe an hour or 2 a day at the very most).  The
students and checkout system work very well.