Hi Cathy,
   I agree with you!  I don't teach Dewey per se.  When I teach OPAC, I teach
kids how to read the call numbers.  i.e. - FIC stands for fiction, therefore,
they know which section of the library to look while the second line of the
"book's address" (or "where it lives in the library") stands for the first
three letters of the author''s last name, so they can then figure out which
shelve in fiction they need to be looking on.  I teach that prefixes: OVSZ,
REF, PB, etc. indicate special sections of the library where they will find
those books.  Similarly, I teach that numbers indicate that a book is
basically non-fiction.  They know where to look in the library for those
books.  Well labeled shelves help them locate the Dewey numbers quickly and
independently.  About all I say about the actual numbers is that each number
stands for a particular subject.  I explain that if they understand that
concept, they will be able to locate information by themselves all the way
through school, at public libraries and even in college where the call
numbers look a little different, but actually stand for different subjects
too.  I think that is all they really need to understand at the elementary
level (along with being able to find books independently).  Seems to me that
what the middle school person really needs the kids to know when they get to
him/her is how to find things on their own.  Probably many will disagree with
us, but that should make for a lively discussion on the topic!

Jan Sullivan, SLMS
Brooks Hill Elementary
Fairport, NY
JanNWS@aol.com