If you have one or two services you provide to your staff that you feel they
really like, I would like to know them.  Thought it would be a good topic of
discussion and I'll post a HIT.  LM_NET has provided an excellent means for
us to share ideas and increase programs we use in our school library media
centers.

One service I provide which my teachers seem to like I call "INI's"
[pronounced "any's].  INI stands for "I Need It."  I give the teachers these
small forms made on quartered sheets of paper that have a place for them to
write the date materials are needed, their name & grade level, topic(s)
needed, and format(s) desired.  I made a drop place on the wall behind our
circulation desk with INI posted on the front.  I use the plastic wall
pockets you can get at nearly any store.  Whenever teachers want us to pull
materials on a certain topic they drop the INI's in the dropoff and we check
it whenever we see one in there.  We stress to them the earlier they plan and
drop them off the easier it is for us to pull the materails.  If they drop
off the same day they need it we can't guarantee we'll be able to do it.
Usually we are able to though.  Initially I color coded them on colored
paper.  I assigned each grade level a color (special areas like art, music,
sp. ed. , etc. were all another color) so I would know at a glance what grade
level or area wanted the material.  Right now I am trying to use up all my
old ones so probably for another year or two it will be mixed.

Once we pull the materials for the teacher, I write the date at the top and a
place a large check mark on the INI to show it has been done.  I keep them so
I can see what materials have been requested and in some cases if we don't
have anything on the topic(s) requested I can use when ordering materials.

I have done a newer INI, but haven't made the copies yet.  I did the
originals on an old Apple computer probably around 8-10 years ago.

Best wishes,
Tony Pope
McHenry Primary School
100 McHenry Drive