Colleagues:

Yesterday I posted my visitation numbers for November, and several of you
wanted to know how I got those numbers. Some of you thought that I was
reporting circulation numbers. Others asked for a hit.

The 1262 students is the total number of students who were in the library
during the month of November. We are on a block schedule, so I have a tally
sheet on my desk for before school, first and second blocks, seminar, third
and fourth blocks, and after school for each day of the week. As people
come into the library I try to mark them down. During November I had 202
checkouts and 21 renewals, so you can see that most people are doing their
work in the library, rather than taking materials out.

I've only received a few numbers from others so far, but what I've gotten
seems to show that people are getting 2.5-4 visits per students per month.
I suspect that the variation is due to the setup of each school (computer
lab in or out of the library, fixed vs. flex schedule, grade level, etc)
rather than the type of program offered. For those of you working on
advanced degrees, this might be a topic worth studying.

Thanks for sharing.

David Lininger (KB0ZKE), LMS
Hickory County R-1 Schools
Rt 1, Box 838