Hi everyone,
Below is a collation of all the ideas and suggestions that people sent me to
pump some life into the perennial fairy tales topic.  Thank you to each of
you who took the time to reply - I hope you can each recognise your post, as
I have combined similar responses. I am breaking them into a number of
messages to make it easier for you and I will also send a list of URLs where
you can find Fairy Tales on the 'Net.

Cheers
Barbara

1.The Ugly Duckling story can be worked into a discussion on racial
prejudice and acceptance of others regardless of appearance. Developing
similar lines from other tales (actually Hans Christian Andersen does this
well) as it's UN International Year for the Culture of Peace might be
something to consider.

2. How about looking at some fairy tales from  different points of view? You
could use Roald Dahl's alternative versions ,  The Stinky Cheese Man and
other Fairly Stupid Tales  and books like the True Story of the Three Little
Pigs, The Big Bad Pig and the Three Little Wolves; The True Story of the
Three Little Pigs and
Sleeping Ugly--which has a great moral.  Right now we are reading The
Chocolate Touch--starring John Midas and I know there are many
more. Children could then make up their own 'alternative' fairy tales based
on these examples.

3 Look at the traditional portrayal in fairy tales of princesses( weak and
helpless, beautiful), princes( brave
handsome),  stepmothers ( evil) and maybe modernise the stories by changing
their stereotyped characters.

4. Research the origins of the traditional Nursery Rhymes-many based on
historic events e.g  Ring-a-ring-of -Rosy  from the Black Death

5. Integrate Personal and Social Education Unit based on Fairy Tales e.g
stranger danger from Little Red Riding Hood; co-operation community
spirit-The Little Red Hen; bullying- The Three Little Pigs ; Greed - The
Three Billy Goats Gruff

6. These is a sensational musical  - 11/2hours maybe less, called Into the
Woods.  I have a copy on video and I think it sells from places like ABC
shops.  It has screened a couple of times on TV.  It combines many of the
major fairy tales and has Jack (Jack and the Beanstalk) running off to marry
Little Red Riding Hood.  It is very funny - the year 8 kids got it well.
Some of the jokes (not crude) are meant for older people but it is really
easy to "spot the tale".

7. The Princess Bride (older primary) is another good fairy tale...good for
looking at elements of fairy tales all in one place..monsters, handsome men,
beautiful women, rescues, danger etc......

8. I have done an entire term on Cinderella, using different versions:
Grimm, Prince Cinders, Disney Cinderella, The Egyptian Cinderella, Alex and
the Glass Slipper, Cinderella by various authors, Roald Dahl's version and
Charles Perrault. We  established the qualities of a Cinderella story and
did lots of compare and contrast as well as many activities related to the
origin of the tale and various stencils on the actual story. The same can be
done with other fairy tales, but I find the most about Cinderella

9. I believe in a book called FANFARES, Programming for the Library, there
is a  section on a good fairytale unit that has the children creating a
FAIRY TALE MUSEUM with the idea that the children read and discuss the
fairytales and then create museum type displays and invite the other kids in
to see
them....of course, this would be set up in the library! One of the displays
could stem from the common sayings, phrases that you were asking
about....others could be the rule of 3, magic objects, variants, etc.
Let the children create it!

10. There's lots of traditional folktales where the protagonist is given
words of advice. (The Boy who cried Wolf) There's a Scottish folktale in
Thistle and Thyme by Sorche Nic Leodhas called The Lass who went out at the
Cry of Dawn. She's given words o advice, charms almost, which protect her
and help her succeed.

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School