Dear friends,
    Your reputation is growing among people I work with at school.
Friday, the director of the Community Service Academy (one of 4
academies in my middle school) came to me with the following request. I
do have some non-fiction material on the subject, but, of course,
welcome new suggestions. However, we decided to post our request to the
list because we are truly stumped on a novel that deals with colonial
Hudson River life and trade. This is the request as written by Naomi
Smith, director of the academy:

Our academy received a grant to study the Hudson River. Our 7th grade
humanities teachers would like to piggyback their study of Colonial
America on the environmental study by having the students look at life
along the Hudson during colonial times.  Each student will create a
narrative from the perspective of someone who lived during that time; a
land owner, an enslaved African, an indentured servent, a farmer,
etc.All
students will have to read a related novel, in addition to the
non-fiction
sources they use.  Do you know of any:

        * books about life along the Hudson during colonial time?
        * novels that take place along another river during colonial
times?
        * novels that relate to the lives of Native Americans, enslaved
Africans,
indentured servents, free Blacks, Dutch (or other) fur traders, etc.?

Thanks for your help,

    Judith Schaffner
    Librarian
       I.S. 218