Hi, Vicki: Try this site for recipes:
> http://members.aol.com/Tchrfromoz/frames.html  When you get into the site,
> type in   "recipes"  in the search box. Go into the first link that comes
> up, called Fashion/Food/Fun. Then scroll way, way down to a link called
> "Recipes from the 20th Century" and click on that...you'll see some links

Volume II, Stories and Recipes for the Great Depression of the 1930's by
> Rita Van Amber, copyright 1994.
> It is an interesting mix of lore and recipes that is quite extensive but
> only from the 30's. Maybe you could contact the publisher since it's an
> unusual book that I picked up in a small craft/collectible shop.

Check out all the "American Girl" cookbooks by Pleasant Company.  They may
> have been written for girls ages 7-12, but recipes are recipes.  Should be
> about 5-6 all written in period.
> "Kirsten's Cookbook"
> "Samantha's Cookbook"
> "Felicity's Cookbook"
> "Addy's Cookbook"
> "Molly's Cookbook"
>

> Probably everybody has already sent you this for msnbc, but here is the
> 1970's page:
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/341299.asp
>
> Your students will need to poke around the site to find the other decades.
> Gordon Walter, k12, Ackley, Ia.

There is a great book that will fill your bill-American Dish: 100 recipes
> from 10 delicious decades by Merrill Shindler.  Amazon has it for 16.46.
> What a fun project.

Bon Appetit put out a special issue with recipes, foods introduced,
> etc.  It is great!  I learned about it on  Today's weekend show--they have
> the decade segments at their website--www.msnbc.com go to Weekend show and
> you will see a link for an American Century of Food.  This could be all
you
> need.  Bon Appetit ordering info for the special issue is provided there
too.
> Sharon
>

> Hi, Vicki: Try this site for recipes:
> http://members.aol.com/Tchrfromoz/frames.html  When you get into the site,
> type in   "recipes"  in the search box. Go into the first link that comes
> up, called Fashion/Food/Fun. Then scroll way, way down to a link called
> "Recipes from the 20th Century" and click on that...you'll see some links

Try the following site. If the URL doesn't work, try a search for the
> Weekend Today Show on NBC. They did a series of shows on the decades and
> recipes are at the end of each decade's article. A periodical is also
> mentioned you might want to find.
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/weekendTodayFood_front.asp

The book you want is:  Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads, by
> Sylvia Lovegren.  NY Macmillan, 1995  LCCN 94-5371  (no ISBN given on TP)

Try Good Housekeeping December 1999. The article title is "Sweet
Memories:
> 100 years of cookies". There is more than one cookie recipe for each
decade from
> 1900 to 1990. I checked the web version of the magazine and they only
posted one

> The December issue of Gourmet or Bon Appetit had recepies for each decade.

Hello! I frequently buy those cookbooks in the check out lanes, and over
> the Holidays bought, "Holiday Parties" by Pillsbury, Dec. 99. One of
> it's themes is "A Walk Through the Decades." It is very interesting. Here
> are some examples:

TheSept. 1999 issue of Bon Appetit is dedicated "The American Century" in
> Food with recipes and trends for every decade.

I acan help you out a bit.  I have a cookbook entitled _Dining During the
> Depression_  It is by Reminisce Books (no author), published in Greendale,
> Wisconsin  (1-800-558-1013)  copyright 1996.  I would love to know if they
have

> The book you want is:  Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads, by
> Sylvia Lovegren.  NY Macmillan, 1995  LCCN 94-5371  (no ISBN given on TP)
>
> It covers food fads from the 1920's through the 1990's and includes
> recipes.

Bon Apetit did a wonderful job of charting the 1900s through recipes in
> their October or November issue.  They took each decade and described
> the food trends for which they provided recipes.  The article was also
> the focus of a number of shows on the weekend Today show.
> Hope you can find the issue.
> Carole

>     I remember seeing an article in Better Homes and Gardens at the time
of
> their anniversary which showed recipies from decades since they had been
in
> publication.  I know it was in the last ten years.  Perhaps someone at B&H
> would be willing to help you locate the information and maybe even send
you a
> complimentary copy of that particular issue.

Vicki Sherouse, Librarian
Sentinel High School
Missoula, Montana
sherouse@marsweb.com